Thread: Is it fine to use 8GB DIMM for Sandy Bridge?

Is it fine to use 8GB DIMM for Sandy Bridge?

I just want to know that is it fine to use the 8GB DIMM for Sandy Bridge. Has anyone run the 32GB on Sandy Bridge? I run it at an over clock of i7 920 with 24GB ram at 1600 and feel that you need at least that much as the 4GB DIMM’s gets me to 16GB.Also I got to know that you don't need 1600 for Sandy Bridge but haven't seen any reason why. So does anyone have a suggestion for 4x 8GB DIMM’s for a SB setup.

Re: Is it fine to use 8GB DIMM for Sandy Bridge?

I just had a look at your problem and then did a bit of research to find the solution to your query. After doing that I have found out that 8GB desktop modules are not available and the desktop CPUs and the boards won't work with server modules. So we need to conclude that if the boards just support 32GB I don't think it can be achieved with current modules. I guess there are server boards which will support server modules but not sure that they are present in the market.

I just had a look at the previous solution and I completely agree with what you have mentioned. Even I did a bit of research and I just visited the Kingston's pages looking for something and I found that the only 8 GB DIMM’s they have are ECC. And then the major problem is that you just can’t use an ECC RAM in a non ECC motherboard. Sometimes I get a feeling that the 8GB still are not mature enough to require ECC to compensate for the high error rates.

Talking about the ECC I really feel that it doesn't have anything to do with this issue. I guess that you can buy a 16 GB DIMM’s for various motherboards. The 8 GB DIMM’s should be available for your desktop some time later. I just had a look at the Intel site and it shows the thermal designs along with the ram configurations along with some pictures of Sandy Bridge. So I feel that you can then go for the 8 GB DIMM’s without any problem.

Thanks a lot for all your answers. I feel that I just need to check first whether 8GB DIMM for Sandy Bridge will work properly or not and then if it does then that will be fine. I think that I just need to check out with few more options before I go ahead now. But I really do hope that the 8GB DIMM for Sandy Bridge will work for me. I would once again like to thank you for your solutions and suggestion that you have provided me.