Thread: MSI 865PE Neo2-P: Incorrect BIOS flashed by MSI Live update

MSI 865PE Neo2-P: Incorrect BIOS flashed by MSI Live update

I used the MSI Live Update and ended with a BIOS revision 3.7 planted in, but I suspect it is not true for the mainboard BIOS, and one of the 2.x series should be used. Motherboard clearly noted "865PE Neo2-P" on it, and the manual said "MS-6728 (v.2.x) ATX Mainboard. The problem is more than clear-random (although not so frequently) congested when XP SP1, all drivers are used properly? Updated, now running Mandrake Linux 10.0 with kernel 2.6.7 and the system completely freezes when trying to accessing certain hard drive (Maxtor SATA 6Y160M0 SATA hard drive connected to the first channel). I suspect that the drive was defective, but I run a "test burn" MaxBlast to it, and no problems at all found. That leaves a few possibilities: a. Wrong / damaged BIOS. Mainboard are damaged, c. Enough PSU (RAM passes Memtest86 with flying colors) - although not very likely, but cheaper normally assessed as 350W. If anyone here has any knowledge or any idea about this than please just let me know. Thanking you for any upcoming help.

Re: MSI 865PE Neo2-P: Incorrect BIOS flashed by MSI Live update

You have a P series boards (rev 2), so you have the correct BIOS. After the flash you get into the BIOS and reset all settings? To secure the future of flash you have to make a Windows 98 boot disk to RAM drive support. You can then copy the flash program and BIOS image to the second disc. I have just running on the same procedure of BIOS. In this it is recommended to use the recovery method. [Although I think step 2 the disk must be prepared to steps 1].

If you decide to flash, please use the BIOS Boot Block to do this update because the only way to update the system BIOS block (so the BIOS can be recovered in case of accidents from the Boot Block Flash has not changed - and updating of the Boot Block is not useful ). AMIBIOS uses to update the BIOS Boot Block:
    1. Press and hold the CTLR + Home button when back to system. Let go the key while you hear a sound and see the floppy light goes on.
    2. Copy the new BIOS image to a new formatted floppy and rename the AMIBOOT.ROM.
    3. Put the floppy in floppy drive and wait until you hear a beep 4. When you hear a beep four blocks of the system will return programming is successful, so after that you can restart your system.

I followed your suggestion (which requires editing a few) and try to follow the tip (clear step 1 step 2 is, as you comment). But what happens whiles the house hitting CTRL + ENTER on Bootup. Actually, I passed the "normal" (from the boot disk) BIOS revision 3.8, removed the BIOS and tried to boot my system. I even change the ATA mode from "legacy"to"native", but my mouse is weird and strange beeping mainboard often when moving the mouse (I tried both USB and PS2 mouse), so I gave up on it and change it back to the legacy. Will report back if I see any improvement.

No luck with the new BIOS either, unfortunately. System freezes during large file transfers-sometimes directly, sometimes heavy hand before the freeze response. Does not seem to be a kernel bug, because it does the same thing with the older, "mature" 2.4.25 and as well from some Live CD, and as I said earlier has as well resulted in a number of Windows XP BSOD while before dual booting. Without using the drive "excessive" hardware devices that may work for several days or more, but, Table partitioning the hard disk has no errors. Bus mastering disable BIOS does not help either, hyper threading on or off and / or non-use Sultan kernel. There are proposals for a particular BIOS setting, or do I need to try another PSU gutsier now in my server?

You have not given us a complete list of hardware, so here is something that might happen - If you use dual channel ram, ram voltage should be provided to at least 2.65. That is the core CPU set too high. You need to set the CPU core to adapt to the NO. There is no need to increase this unless you are into extreme overclocking. What BIOS settings for the operating mode of the chip ATA? For each of Northwood 800FSB CPU you necessitate a power supply with 18A on the +12 and 30A at +5 and 3.3, with typical total wattage rating of 400.

PSU does not seem to meet the standard, providing +12 14A, 25A on the +5 and only 15 in 3.3. RAM voltage at 2.70V, the CPU core and 1.600 at 1.55V AGP. I changed the PSU with SilentMaxx, comfortably meet the specifications. Any symptoms, the same have been changed. CPU core has been resurrected after experiencing problems. ATA browser settings chips are special people to SATA: Legacy Mode, Ata Conf. Only PATA, SATA remain switched on ya. The problem may be very simple. I also installed, type of additional power connector to SATA drives in the classic (which should not be required at all), and so far I have not had a problem. If there is (again) I'll report back.