Thread: Raid Configuration with 3 TB Hard disk

Raid Configuration with 3 TB Hard disk

I am a newbie computer user , I am not much aware of the computer technologies being introduced in the market , I recently came to know that my system is a raid enabled system , later on I learned a few concepts about all these , I have got a new i5 processor , and the intel’s motherboard installed in my system however my doubt was all about the raid enabled in the system , my question is that is it possible to make use of the new 3TB disks as members of RAID arrays on Intel RST? I will be very grateful to get your responses .

Re: Raid Configuration with 3 TB Hard disk

I did the estimation on rebuilding RAID5 arrays from big hard drives for a storage project around two years ago. The error rates quoted by makers ombined with the enormous data storage volumes of contemporary disks compared with their counterparts when the RAID levels were described, that measn meant it was not safe to depend on even a RAID6 with 8 drives to be able to productively rebuild a failed disk without additional errors cropping up if the disks were bigger than 1TB. Seems as if it will not be long until even sole drives will be probably to experience unrecoverable errors before you even fill them up.

Intel just sent us an e-mail letting us know that they have updated their Rapid Storage Technology (RST) drivers to edition 10.1 today and with that they now have support for hard disk drives with capacities larger than 2.2 terabytes in AHCI mode. It is significant to note that booting to these bigger ability hard drives also needs an operating system and UEFI BIOS that supports booting to a GPT partition. If the system does not congregate these necessities, these large storage drives may only be used as secondary storage. Intel is planning to add RAID mode support for these large capacity hard drives in a prospect launch. You can download Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver edition 10.1.0.1008 if you require it!

There are posts regarding RST 10.1.0.1008 having support for 3TB disks but its not apparent if this permits them in RAID arrays.The majority 3TB drives are low power or Green drives and are not suggested for utilized in RAID.The Hitachi Deskstar 3TB 7K3000 is the just one that may be all right for RAID.The disks don't require to be Raid version/Enterprise class drives merely not the ones that power down to accumulate power and such.