Thread: Intel Xeon X7560 8-core CPU performance

Intel Xeon X7560 8-core CPU performance

I just got news that Intel Xeon X7560 is coming with 8-core CPU. I want to know more about this processor. And I am sure that some members must be knowing about it. I am requesting you people to share some details about this processor with me. When I was searching for an information about the same on internet, I also found that it's high scalability increases the performance of multithreading. Now I am eager to know more about it. Please provide some notes about Intel Xeon X7560 is coming with 8-core as soon as possible.

Re: Intel Xeon X7560 8-core CPU performance

Combines the new Intel Xeon 7500 "Nehalem-EX", all eight cores on a silicon wafer. According to Intel needs the octa-core CPU 2.3 billion transistors. The previous model Xeon X7460 with six cores and 25 MB cache (L2 cache 9M, 16M shared L3 cache) consists of 1.9 billion transistors. Intel made the Nehalem EX continues the 45-nm process. Each of the eight cores is a dedicated 256 KByte L2 cache. is there a common core for all up to 24 MB (depending on model) comprehensive L3 cache. Intel shares to the third buffer level in eight 3-Mbyte segments to optimize the bandwidth for access. Thus, a transfer to the nuclei with about 200 GB / s should be possible. Intel estimates the latency of 21 ns. Intel's 8-core processor with Hyper-Threading its additional total of 16 threads per core execute in parallel. In addition to the octa-core models, there is the Xeon 7500-series also available in versions with four and six cores. Marked so the tetra-nuclear Xeon E7520 1.86 GHz clock speed the entry of the series. At the upper end is ranked the top model Xeon X7560 2.26 GHz clock frequency and Octa-Core.

Except for the entry model that dominate the Xeon 7500 models of turbo technology for increasing the clock frequency of individual cores. Thus, the Xeon X7560, for example, the clock frequency of a core of up to three increases "speed-bins'. This corresponds to the specified 133 MHz for a bin then increased to 400 MHz clock frequency. Intel ranks the Xeon 7500 processors with TDP values of 95, 105 and 130 watts. While the flagship Xeon X7560 is rated at 130 watts, there is also an 8-core low-voltage version with 95 watts TDP. The clock frequency of the Xeon L7555 is 1.86 GHz.

Intel equips the Xeon with four QuickPath interfaces from 7500th This translates to up to eight Xeons directly and without additional switch chips together. The QuickPath interfaces operate per link with a bandwidth of 4.8, 5.86 or 6.4 GT / s (depending on model). The processor is the four QPI links over a crossbar router connected to a bandwidth of 120 GByte / s allows. As a chipset for the Xeon 7500 platform is the new chipset Intel 7500 EX-Boxboro "ready. The chipset is an I / O hub, and is seen only as a bridge between the QPI links, CPUs and I / O ports. The main function of Boxboro-EX is the provision of PCI Express 2.0 interfaces.

With the memory controller, the chipset in the new Xeon 7500 platform has nothing to do. Each Xeon 7500 has two integrated memory controller. Each controller has two so-called "Scalable Memory Interfaces" SMI. These are high-speed serial links. The four links of a Xeon 7500-SMI each control to its own "Scalable Interconnect with Memory Buffers" SMB. Each SMB is in dual channel mode support up to four DDR3 Registered DIMMs at 800 or 1066 MHz. The SMBs replace the Xeon 7500 platform, the FB-DIMM technology platform with the previous Xeon 7400 CPUs. The memory subsystem of a Xeon 7500 can thus move 16 DIMMs via eight channels. In a 4-socket configuration of 64 memory locks are possible.

With the Xeon 7500-series offers Intel claims to be the first time the RAS features of RISC to x86 servers for. to make this possible the new feature "MCA recovery" of the Nehalem-EX. With the "Machine Check Architecture (MCA) to errors in CPU / O detected and corrected memory. Defects in these components should not interfere with the operation of the server. The feature will be "MCA recovery" must be supported by the operating systems. Support is announced by the providers of appropriate enterprise operating systems. Microsoft supports MCA recovery with Windows Server 2008 R2, VMware wants to adapt future versions of vSphere be, Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise on MCA recovery before and Red Hat is also working on an appropriate support. With the high availability features and the high scalability of the Intel Nehalem EX is making additional internal competition with the Itanium . This has always beat Intel to the specific remote access features for the safe operation of mission-critical workloads. The Itanium is Intel says, however, continue to the "ideal solution" for systems with more than eight processors, and the highest memory requirements.

In the Xeon -7500 platform can be any CPU on the QuickPath also interfaces to the memory of adjacent processors access. This increases the available memory bandwidth of a Xeon 7500th In a 2-socket configuration, so each Xeon 7500 is also the memory of the other processors. Access to the adjacent memory is considerably slower than on their own, the bandwidth is increased. In a 4-socket configuration, the same principle. Dell developed for the Xeon 7500 platform, a proprietary technology called FlexMem Bridge. By FlexMem can in a 4-socket system that is equipped with two CPUs, the DIMM slots of the two empty CPU sockets are populated. The two processors is thus built next to your additional memory DIMMs available to the empty CPU sockets are assigned. Because access to the adjacent memory via the CPU-integrated into the neighbor router must be, this principle works only for stocked shelves. This makes it not work, Dell has designed the FlexMem Bridge. The bridge is clamped in the CPU socket and forwards simply expressed by the memory requests from the CPU just adjacent to the "Scalable Interconnect with Memory Buffers" SMB. Whoever therefore wants to equip its system for cost reasons or adequate performance with only two Xeon 7500 processors, the memory still stands by FlexMem development of a fully-populated 4-socket server available. Our test system Dell PowerEdge R810 with four CPU sockets is equipped with two Xeon X7560. Our benchmarks, we run through each with and without FlexMem technology. The memory bandwidth is increased if both CPUs can access each have the memory of the empty CPU socket.