Thread: Energy efficiency in AMD Opteron 6174

Energy efficiency in AMD Opteron 6174

I have read some threads related to AMD Opteron 6174 over here. So I thought to post my doubt. Also let me tell you that I am new on this forum and I am not having much idea about posting. Still I hope that I have posted in right section, if not then please don't ignore it, just provide some useful information. I want to know about an energy efficiency in AMD Opteron 6174. It would be much appreciable if you members provide some graph explaining about the same. I am expecting some responses from your side soon as possible.

Re: Energy efficiency in AMD Opteron 6174

The total value of SPECpower_ssj2008 represents the energy efficiency of the system. The benchmark indicates the average performance per watt, which are all load conditions from ten to 100 percent measured. To the processors to use the energy saver options, working Windows Server 2008 Enterprise x64 with the power scheme "Balanced". SpeedStep (Intel) and PowerNow! (AMD) to the dynamic rules of clock frequency and core voltage depending on CPU usage are the benchmark SPECpower actively. The following graph shows the values when in the Power Options of Windows Server 2008, the scheme "high performance" is selected. The processors are always working at full clock speed and core voltage. The dynamic power management features SpeedStep (Intel) and PowerNow! (AMD) are the schemes 'excellence' is not active.

The above graph shows the impact of the disabled CPU power management on the energy efficiency of the systems.

Without Power Management inactive PowerNow! reduce the two Opteron 6174 system efficiency by one percent. The situation is similar in the two Xeon X5670 and X5680 when SpeedStep the clock frequency and core voltage is not depending on the workload may regulate dynamic. In the two Xeon X5570 CPUs, the efficiency deteriorated by about two percent. When Opteron-2435 system, the efficiency is no PowerNow! back to a good percentage.

I would like to discuss about the core strength. The Opteron 6174 is AMD 80-watt ACP classified by. This CPUs are the dodeca-core only minimally over the 75 Watt ACP of the Opteron 2435. In full load core Opteron 6174-the files are only slightly more energy. How much energy consumption depends on the platform of the CPUs of the shows the comparison of the Xeon E5520 with the X5680. In the identical 2-socket servers, the power consumption increases with the 130-watt Xeon X5680 models to 399 watts. Stuck in the same platform, two low-power Xeon L5520 (45-nm Nehalem) with 60 watt TDP, so the server is acting very sparingly.

The processors use their power management features from SpeedStep (Intel) and PowerNow! (AMD). Then, at the Power Options of Windows Server 2008, the scheme "high performance" is selected. The dynamic power management features SpeedStep (Intel) and PowerNow! (AMD) are the schemes 'excellence' is not active. At idle, with PowerNow! working-6174 Opteron CPUs with 800 MHz and 0.925 V core voltage. The 12-core processors operate with the new Maranello platform, DDR3 memory sparingly. The additional switching off completely dormant seeds in the 12 arithmetic units of the Opteron 6174 compared to the hexa-core Opterons do not negatively. At idle, increases with the Xeon X5670's energy requirements without SpeedStep by only one watt. In the Xeon X5680, however, consumption increased by seven watts. The Opteron 6174-model their energy needs increase idle without power management as much as 14 watts, the Opteron 2435 CPUs at 10 watts. This shows that AMD's power management of the Opteron 6174 has further improved.