Thread: AMD Opteron 4100 Series can be used for low-cost servers?

AMD Opteron 4100 Series can be used for low-cost servers?

I just want to know that can I use AMD Opteron 4100 Series for servers. I am not sure about this processors, so thought to take some help from you guys. Also I am looking for the servers that can be less costly (cheap) but should perform good. Somebody told me about the AMD Opteron 4100 series and said that it would be better for me. Since, I am not having information about it, I am requesting you to provide some useful information about it.

Re: AMD Opteron 4100 Series can be used for low-cost servers?

AMD's new Opteron 4100 processors are designed for use in inexpensive, energy-efficient servers. The CPUs are there with four or six cores and support DDR3 memory. AMD with the Opteron 6100-series its new CPU -generation servers with two or four processors before. The 6100 models are available with eight or twelve seeds. Moreover, the CPUs have integrated DDR3-1333 with four-channel high memory bandwidth. For cheap and energy-efficient servers with one or two CPU sockets it now from AMD, the Opteron 4100-series. The new CPUs are based on technology the Opteron 6100 models. While AMD Opteron 6100 built the two silicon chips to a processor 4100 CPUs are at the four and six cores on one die together.

The Opteron 4100 "Lisbon" is considered a legitimate successor to current Opteron 2400 models "Istanbul", which were also designed for 2-socket operation. The production of Lisbon will continue with AMD's 45 nm technology. While it still remains even at a maximum of six cores, the platform for renewed AMD Opteron 4100. The Opteron 4100 processors is in addition to the typical of the K10 architecture, 512 KB L2 cache per core, a shared L3 cache of 6MB capacity available. The communication to the second CPU and chipset do with two Opteron 4100 HyperTransport 3.0 links at 6.4 GT / s. With the Socket F Opterons, the bandwidth was limited to 4.8 GT / s per link.

In the memory controller is the Opteron 4100 is two channels - but also for DDR3-1333 DIMMs (4 per socket). Low-Voltage DDR3 DIMMs at 1066 MHz and 1.35 instead of 1.5 V operating voltage supports the Opteron 4100 as well. With the DDR3 memory module is due at the Opteron 4100-series with the C32, a new socket slot. The slot is based on the Socket F 1207, and also uses pins. As low-cost chipsets for the new C32 platform, "San Marino" sees AMD SR5670 and SR5650 before. The chip sets differ mainly in the number of PCIe lanes and the power loss.

AMD Opteron 4100 processors graduated with an ACP of 32, 50 and 75 watts a being. The recent Hexa-core models of the Opteron 2400-series AMD, 40, 55, 75 and 105 watt ACP to. Instead of the Intel used by TDP (Thermal Design Power), a theoretical maximum value, in which all the transistors in the CPU switch simultaneously, AMD used in the classification of the energy value of ACP (Average CPU Power). These are, according to the manufacturer to a realistic maximum value. The ACP is located below each of the TDP-value that there are still developers. Like the Opteron 6100 is used in the 4100 models, the new energy-saving mode C1e used. If all processors in idle mode (C1-status) and AMD's Smart Fetch technology cache, the L1 and L2 cache contents in the L3-loaded (cores are switched off then), then the C1e sleep mode active. C1e reduced from the L3 cache and the memory controller's speed and HyperTransport links can go into a sleep mode LS2. In addition, turned off the DRAM DLLs and the chipset can be reduced by the fashion of the LS2-HT also links its energy consumption. According to AMD, a 2-socket platform is required with two Opteron 4164 EE idle and 63 watts at 100 percent load 133 watts. As a comparison a similar platform called AMD Opteron 2419 EE with two: here are 83 (idle) and 171 watts (load) specified.

In addition to the known energy-saving measures "PowerNow!" to dynamically adjust the clock frequency and core voltage as well as "Smart Fetch the Opteron 4100 additionally supports the technology,"Cool Speed". AMD's Cool Speed reduces the P-states (operating state with defined clock frequency and core voltage) when a temperature limit is reached. Thus, the reliability is increased. AMD's new Opteron 4100 processors are used in cheap and energy-efficient servers provided for. The CPUs are there with four or six cores and support DDR3 memory. The Opteron 4100 is designed for systems with one or two processor sockets, and is considered the successor to the Opteron 2400-series.