Thread: I need advice for upgrading my processor ( AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5400+ )

I need advice for upgrading my processor ( AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5400+ )

Right now I am running a AMD Athlon(tm) 64 2.8GHz X2 Dual Core Processor 5400+ off a ACPI x86-based PC Motherboard. My computer is an HP Compaq Presario PC. (I got it off Best Buy in 2008 for like $500 + a 22" moniter)

I'd like to upgrade it to any quad-core or 6-core processor.

I am an electronic music producer, and running all my software off a dual core processor gives me heaps of trouble. (My CPU usage bar keeps going past 120% whenever I am using too many VST plugins at once during playback. This results in a poorly delayed playback and a laggy screen)

I also have 3.5 GBs of DDR2 800MHz RAM in my motherboard at the moment.

Please have mercy, this is my first time posting a thread about upgrading my computer. I am not that great with computers.

I need to know what type, spec, and brand of processor I need to buy. If there is anything I need to change before I upgrade my processor (or if I don't need to upgrade my processor at all) please feel free to reply.

Thank you!

Re: I need advice for upgrading my processor ( AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5400+ )

If you motherboard is supporting Quad core processor then you can easily upgrade to the new processor that you are looking for. It is better to ask about the compatibility of the processor to the HP help Desk who can guide you properly with the issue of yours. So if you can then contact the HP and see whether you are getting the proper solution or not.

Re: I need advice for upgrading my processor ( AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5400+ )

I currently have a dual core processor installed, is it even possible to upgrade from a dual core to a quad core (or six core) processor on the same motherboard?

There is an easy way to find the answer for this. First of all it is important to find the exact model number of your motherboard. Then only we can determine that it will support a higher cpu or not by reading the specification. For that I will recommend you to install CPUz. Download and install this software and then run the same. Post the motherboard model here. You can even search for the specification of this motherboard.

does this help me?
    Last edited by Kunal; 15-02-2011 at 10:22 AM. Reason: External Linking is not allowed