Thread: Quad core without L3 cache vs Triple core with L3 cache

Quad core without L3 cache vs Triple core with L3 cache

My desktop system is a modern one , although my system had an old processor , I have a gigabyte model motherboard, 4 GB of Ram installed , the hard disk capacity is 1 TB of hard drive. But I was rather concerned about the processor ,can you please guide me on this . what would you prefer a triple core that has a L3 cache or a quad core without L3 cache.?

Re: Quad core without L3 cache vs Triple core with L3 cache

It makes wisdom to provide multi-core processors with a devoted memory used together by all obtainable cores. In this position, fast third-level cache (L3) can go faster access to regularly needed data. Cores should not relapse in accessing the slower main memory (RAM) when likely. That’s the speculation, at least. AMD’s current launch of the Athlon II X4, which is primarily a Phenom II X4 without the L3,means that the tertiary cache might not always be essential. We determined to do an apples to apples evaluation using both selection and discover out.

The efficiency of a cache architecture is calculated by its hit rate. Data requirements that can be respondeded within a given cache are called as hits. If that cache does not contain the required data and ought to pass the request on to following memory structures, this is a overlook obviously, overlooks are slow. They lead to stalls in the implementation pipeline and bring in was await periods. Hits, on the other hand, help maintain utmost performance.

Before going deeper into our tests, it’s significant to understand some basics. The opinion of caches is rather straightforward. They buffer data as near as achievable to the processing core(s) so that it can keep away from the CPU having to right to use the data from more remote, slower memory resources. Today’s desktop environment cache hierarchies consist of three cache levels before accomplishment of system memory access. The second and particularly the third levels are not merely for data buffering. Their reason is also to stop choking the CPU bus with needless data exchange traffic between cores.