Thread: Types of CPU Power Connector

Types of CPU Power Connector

Hello friends. Nowadays I am planning to buy new pc with AthlonII X4-640 as a CPU. I search number of motherboards which are compatible with this CPU. And I found that most of them are using 4- pin cpu power suppliers. Oh! I FORGET TO TELL YOU ABOUT PLATFORM THAT I AM GOING TO USE ACTUALLY I PLANE TO USE Gigabyte my platform for this CPU. Since he supports new versions of AMD processors which comes with 8- pin power connectors. I want your suggestions about if I use 8- pin power connectors will they damage my CPU or not.

Re: Types of CPU Power Connector

The gigabytes motherboard that I bought recently has 8 pin power connectors. And on it I am using PSU of 4 pins. There is no issue regarding they will fit or not. The problem is in case of power. That is there is malfunctionality exists while bridging all the 8-pin connectors. Since I couldn't find all 4 cores wide open on my Phenom X2 555 I try another PSU with an 8 pin connector but had problems. I return it. I bought a 4 pin to 8 pin adapter which use the PSU's 4 pin connector and a extra 12v connector. I still can't get a 4 cores unlocked but I believe I'm providing enough power to now. i suggest you don't try to experiment too much take help of their official web sites.

All the AMD processors starting from AND athlon 64 responsible for drawing CPU power through auxiliary connectors of + 12 volt. The four pin ATX connectors are used to carry 192 Watts instead of 90 Watts whereas the 8-pin EPS12v adapter is specialized for carrying 336 Watts. A 95-watt stock Athlon II X4 is not going to overcome a 4-pin connection, but a heavily over clocked Phenom II X6 might once you figure in VRM losses, that is why some AM3 boards use 8-pin connector. For more information you can visit particular brands official site where they place all the information related to their products. And choose an appropriate option suitable for you.

As far I know about power connectors used by machine. The 4 pin connectors usually have two wires for each supply purpose as well as for return purpose. So having at most two conductors for each end every path. By using 4-pin connectors it is possible to deliver 22 amps on the rail of 12v.to double this power there is a option available of 8-pin connectors. It simply doubles this power that is 44 amps. I experienced that some motherboards never boot themselves if there is only 4- pin plugged into 8-pin socket. If you have power consumption just around 192 Watts with 4-pin adapter that time use of adapter is a better option.

Upper limit of the power drawn for Athlon by using +12 connector is nearly about 55 watts. It was seen in Lost Circuits' testing methodology that all AMD CPU’s drawl all power through this connector. They did not perform too much experience with other connectors. Frankly speaking I don’t have much knowledge related to this topic. You can get more information related to these ones from official site which specific to each brand or you can ask about this to your engineer. He will clarify your all doubts. If you need detailed information regarding to this one simply make a visit to your nearest service center of your CPU or motherboard to avoid the future problems.