Thread: 4GB dual channel vs 8GB single channel mode

4GB dual channel vs 8GB single channel mode

Want to upgrade my system , although I have picked the correct processor and the motherboard and the RAM as well , but I am a bit confused about the channel being used in the channel being used in the motherboard . My most important question is, which one is superior? What take place if I put RAM like this 4GB-4GB-2GB-2GB Will Windows be familiar with that as this? What is the actual difference between a 8GB single channel and 4GB dual channel ?

Re: 4GB dual channel vs 8GB single channel mode

If you do not actually require that much RAM, I recommend you just use the 2x4GB modules. However, if you want to use all of them, 4-2-4-2 will give you the best performance. It will let you use all 12GB of RAM (assuming you have a 64-bit OS) and will run in dual-channel mode. It will work in the speed of the slower module, although, so your 1600MHz 4GB modules will successfully 1333MHz only. But in my belief, the speed you "lose" is worth the increment RAM if you really require the memory capability.

I think you have done misinterpretation dual-channel mode. Dual channel mode will intersperse the memory so that your (speculative) memory performance is increased by two times . For instance , if one of your modules is capable working in 8GB/s, and the you can also do 8GB/s, then in dual channel, you will be also able to do GB/s. They will not, however, reduce the ability of your total setup. So if you any mechanized use 2x4GB modules, you will have all the 8GB obtainable to your system . It will not bisect the computer's memory capability.

Yes, the RAM speed and timings do not actually have an effect on performance much. I had read in an article somewhere . In short, matching capability put in equivalent colors. that will provide you the most excellent performance. Even though it has been proven by a few article that the dual and the single channel does not actually makes much difference.