Thread: What is maximum RAM supported by Intel i7 740QM

What is maximum RAM supported by Intel i7 740QM

I am planning to purchase a new Asus G73 but the problem seems to be with expanding the memory on this laptop. This machine has an Intel i7-740QM processor and I want to expand the memory of this laptop upto its maximum limit. Can somebody tell me that how much maximum memory is supported by an Intel i7-740QM? I would be running Windows 7 on this machine if it lets me expand memory up to at least 12 Gb.

Re: What is maximum RAM supported by Intel i7 740QM

The laptop that you are about to buy has a two slots for RAM so I guess it would be having maximum support of 8 Gb ram. That even with the two RAM chips of 4 GB in each slot would be making it 8GB compatible machine. I think even 8 Gb of ram is enough for playing high graphical games with the highest graphic setting unless and until your machine has a better graphic card. I suggest you to buy this machine as there is no need to use more that 8 Gb ram on it.

I have gone through the specifications of the laptop that you are about to buy and it says on its official website that it has a capacity of 4x2 Gb which means that it has a 4 slots of RAM and each of them support for the 2 gb ram chips. So it has a 4 slots which would have made its support up to 16 Gb ram if each ram slot has a support of 4 GB ram but since it has only 2 Gb support, Your machine would be able to get only 8 Gb ram which is its maximum limit.

Best way to confirm about this issue would be to contact with an Asus customer care as there you can ask about your laptop. You just need to ask that single RAM slot of Asus G73 support how much memory. If they say that it supports 4 Gb then its well and good. Your machine would be able to have maximum memory up to 16 Gb which is really hige memory support for normal users.