Thread: Can I install DD3 RAM stick in DDR2 slot ?

\"Dritan\" Guest

Can I install DD3 RAM stick in DDR2 slot ?

I am in a a bit of dilemma , I was having a desktop system with dual core processor, later on I decide to upgrade my RAM , I was using a DDR2 RAM , as I am a gamer , I was not satisfied with the speed and the performance my system was giving, so I made up my mind and then I decided to upgrade it with DDR3 RAM sot but my question is that can I install the DDR3 RAM chip in DDR2 RAM slot , please solve my query as quick as you people can.

Re: Can I install DD3 RAM stick in DDR2 slot ?

Actually, a DDR3 RAM fits comfortably into a DDR2 slot, because they are more often than not of the same sizes, but your systemboard must support DDR3 in order to get it working. Also, it's not only about DDR RAM Chips), but it can be to because of the frequency . If your systemboard / CPU can take RAM with only, for example, 667MHz DDR2, a 800MHz DDR2 will not work properly inside it. This happened to me as well.

I own 2 older laptops systems, the older one favors DDR only, the newer one favors DDR2 too, but has at present DDR RAM inside.So I attempted to upgrade RAM in the older laptop (since it has a improved CPU) by placing there first RAM from my newer laptop, that has also a slot of DDR. I first was convinced that these will work, but then I comprehended, that the 256MB RAM module is working on a dissimilar frequency than the 128MB one that was at present in. After observing the laptop I came to know about a lot of hexadecimal numbers.

Well you just said that you wish to install the RAM chips that are of DDR3 and want to install in the DDR2 RAM chip then , I do not think that it should be done at all cause it may damage the motherboard as well. Well it is quite possible that you install DDR2 RAM chip on the DDR3 RAM slot , as you said that the size of both the RAM chip is identical but since the DDR3 RAM was introduced after DDR2 had come , it will fit in the DDR2 RAM slot but there are very less possibility to work in the RAM slot.

So in brief, you cannot run DDR3 in a DDR2 slot, which you almost certainly already knew. However, you can run either DDR2 or DDR3 on your system board, just not together at a time . So for turning from running the previous DDR2 to the running newer DDR3 just go after the given commands. Ensure you use the correct slot and that the RAM is listed as well-matched and you are good to go! So I it will be better if you accept the reality.

Mercury Motherboard RAM Compatibility:
    I have a Mercury PI945Z motherboard. On its website it says " 2 DDR2 DIMM slots (2GB Max)" . So can i put 2gb in dimm1 and another 2gb in dimm2 (or) just 1gb each in dimm 1 &2 slots?

Quote Originally Posted by kart51289 View Post
    Mercury Motherboard RAM Compatibility:
    I have a Mercury PI945Z motherboard. On its website it says " 2 DDR2 DIMM slots (2GB Max)" . So can i put 2gb in dimm1 and another 2gb in dimm2 (or) just 1gb each in dimm 1 &2 slots?
    No, it seems like you will be able to use only 2gb RAM maximum on the Mercury PI945Z motherboard that you have. So, you can use either 2GB DDR2 ram in 1 slot or use 1gb RAM x 2 in both the slots.