Thread: How does 2.1 version differ from 2.0 version of GA-870A-UD3 motherboard ?

How does 2.1 version differ from 2.0 version of GA-870A-UD3 motherboard ?

I was a bit confused about the Gigabyte motherboard of a model GA-870A-UD3 , but since there are two versions that is rev 2.0 and 2.1, I went through the official site of the Gigabyte motherboards and came to know that there is some sort of difference with the RAM slots , can any one tell me what is exactly the difference in the two motherboards , I am expecting the that that people from this forum will reply in bulk.

Re: How does 2.1 version differ from 2.0 version of GA-870A-UD3 motherboard ?

Yes I too went through that forum and of the Gigabyte motherboards as well , and found what is the difference in the RAM slots, yes there is indeed in the DIMM slots, if you look and observe the motherboard closely you will come to know that layouts of those DIMM slots and the microchips are not there as they should, if you visit the homepage you will not be able to discover any such difference , I think that was the only difference as far as my knowledge is concerned.

Yes there is indeed there is bit of difference as far as those DIMM slots are concerned and you will not find those mice chips as well , but there is one more major difference , and it lies in the CPB , it is the abbreviated form of Core Performance Boost,The CPB chip stands for Core Performance Boost and as far as I consider it was meant for unlocking the additional locked cores on a few chips, however Gigabyte concluded it could be done through software instead and so those chips are not there .

I have a rev 2.1 version of Gigabyte MotherBoard and manual that came along with it , rev 2101, displays DDR3 should be in channels 1/3 or 2/4 for double channel. I went through a post elsewhere in your forum that features 1/2 and 3/4, exactly out of a manual. Gigabyte had really made and showed a lot of difference. I agree that the Rev. 2.1 manual indicates you to install 2x DDR3 in slots ls 1 & 3 or 2 & 4 for dual channel operation.

If talked about the Mother board Dual Channel Memory , in the rev 2.1 version the system board gives you a platform for the support of Dual Channel Technology, once the RAM is installed , the BIOS will notice the system specification and the total ability of the RAM , you will find the difference in this Dual Channel , the bandwidth is double the size of the file of the actual Ram in the bandwidth , but I am pretty sure there are certain similarities in the channel also in the memory sockets .