Thread: How can I raise the FSB higher than what my RAM supports?

How can I raise the FSB higher than what my RAM supports?

I have got a desktop computer along with me , I have gone through this technical forum a lot of time as I was mostly interested in the overclocking part, and found out a lot of solutions that turned out to be relevant to my query , I too have one query I have got an AMD Turion processor installed in my system and RAM of 2GB, my question was about raising the FSB , is it possible tor raise it beyond the support of the RAM installed in my system , please tel me a bit more about how I can raise it .

Re: How can I raise the FSB higher than what my RAM supports?

If you want to raise your FSB to a higher speed than what is supported by the RAM installed in your system , you will have to run your RAM at a lower speed than the FSB. This is accomplishing with the help of FSB:RAM ratio. Basically, the FSB:RAM ratio permits you to choose numbers that set up a ratio among your FSB and RAM speeds. So, suppose you are using the PC-3200 (DDR 400) RAM that runs at 200MHz. But you wish to raise your FSB to 250MHz in order to overclock your system . Clearly, your RAM will not realize the raised FSB speed and will most probably result in crashing the system , Basically, this ratio implies that for every 5MHz that your FSB runs at, your RAM will work only at rate of 4 Mhz. I think this much will be upto your level of satisfaction ,but in case if not you are most welcome to post your query again , I will be glad to do the research again and bring you the exact solution that you are expecting.

To make it more simpler , change the 5:4 ratio to a 100:80 ratio. So for each 100MHz your FSB will work , your RAM will work at 80MHz only . Principally, this results that your RAM will only run at 80% of what your FSB is working at . So with your 250MHz aim FSB, working in a 5:4 ratio which is the ratio of your FSB and the RAM , so if you use this your system will definitely boost up with and hence you can increase the performance of your system .

This answer, however, is not the proper solution l. Running the FSB and RAM with a ratio results in spaces in involving the time that the FSB can interact with the RAM. This will result in the decrementing slowdowns that would not be there if your RAM and the FSB are working at an identical speed. If you want the majority speed out of your machine , making the use of an FSB:RAM ratio would not be the ideal resolution solution.

Wrong. Since the FSB is the gateway through which your system interacts with the processor , you want it to increase as much as you can . So if you decrease rate of the FSB to 100MHz and increased the multiplier to 20, your system still posses clock speed of 2.0GHz, but the remaining part of your system would be interacting with your processor much slower than it was doing before you had made the changes , and thus it will impact on the performance as well and so will decrease it .