Thread: 4GB of RAM recognized instead of 6GB

4GB of RAM recognized instead of 6GB

I have just purchased a new pc:

• Gigabyte EX58-Extreme (latest BIOS F13j)
    • CPU intel i7 920
    • 3 * 2GB G. Skill DDR3 PC15000 trident
    • Vertex2 60Gb SSD
    • Radeon HD4850X2 2GB GC

My problem is simple and complicated. I have 6GB of RAM installed on the proper slots to qualify for the triple channel. The problem is that the motherboard does not want to use that 4GB. All strips are well recognized as Win 7 Ultimate 64bit recognizes 6GB well in the ownership of the panel but it says that only 4GB are useable.

Re: 4GB of RAM recognized instead of 6GB

You can try to put 2 dual channel kits to see if this is well recognized. if it works without problem, that is the bios of your computer causing the problem a concern with the management of triple channel. I think you need to update the BIOS of your system. The BIOS version which is already installed on your system might be out of date.

I do not get any because my bars are on the slots 1, 2 and 5 (the first line is OK while the second indicates 2, 4 and 6 and only ls 2 and 4 are activated ...). I found no setting to turn the last DIMM. Is it finally comes from the fact that WIN 7 uses almost 2GB of RAM alone? (I'm apparently not the only one having this problem and I re-stated that the function of memory remap ASUS solve the problem). If you have a solution or need more precision thank you in advance.

After several investigations, it appears that the second DIMM (DIMM_1) does not work. I tested the three RAM one by one on it and on DIMM_3, 1 does not work with any operating and 3 So I think it remains for me to return the product. What makes me laugh is that I often problems on high-end products as the first prize. It would seem that there have no problem since Memtest sees DIMM 3 slot with their respective RAM and detail. But it would be a configuration problem of voltage, QPI uncore etc.

Okay, well I will come to you as a friend (who sold me the RAM) has helped me find the problem. In fact, as I said ccp6128, I had to tighten the Processor first time I had 3-pin socket that had moved and had not seen (must say it was not huge) 2 of them have been replaced with precision (lamp, large magnifying glass and needle plate) the last is dead. But with the bowl I have, it only serves to pin DIMMs support any key to my triple channel (DIMM 1, 3 and 5) and suddenly now (with pine handed OK) recognized my 6GB is no problem.