Thread: Can I install DDR2 RAM stick on AM3 slot motherboard

Can I install DDR2 RAM stick on AM3 slot motherboard

I have got a desktop system , in which I have installed a Gigabyte M52L-S3P motherboard and on it I have got a DDR2 RAM installed , the slot for it is AM2+ but i would prefer a AM3 sloted motherboard , and want to install the same DDR2 RAM in the new motherboard which I will purchase , I know it is a bit funny question , but I am expecting you to reply on this question. I am waiting for you people to respond on this.

Re: Can I install DDR2 RAM stick on AM3 slot motherboard

As you said that are trying to install a DDR2 RAM stick in a AM+ sloted motherboard, right now you are having AM2+ , well I do not think at all that it is possible to do so , you cannot possible install a DDR2 RAM stick into a AM3, but I do not think that you will be able to do this . The number 3 on the AM3 specifies that it does not support the AM2 + mother board an its older version , you can only install DDR2 and phenom II processor in this system board.

As far as my technical knowledge is concerned AMD’s Phenom ii X4 955 C3 95 Watt version CPU was only obtainable as oem. It's more or less not possible to get hold of this processor, if you really want to install DDR2 in then you need a AM2+ processor compliant system board for it , I think you will need a DDR3 RAM stick if you want will need AM3 compliant motherboard.

As far as my knowledge the AM3 system board only support DDR3 RAM so you will not be able to utilize the DDR2 RAM that you have if you purchase in AM3 socket systemboard.Because your systemboard is fairly old now it does not present much in the way of support for the advanced end AM3 Processors and a fast look through the system’s Support list shows that the best changes you will be able to do in your system you should try Phenom ii X4 955 C3 95 Watt edition CPU.