Thread: Core i7 950 is Overheating

Core i7 950 is Overheating

I have got a core i7 950 processor. Recently I have started facing problem with my processor. The problem is that it gets overheated. Well the screen gets BSOD and sometimes the system gets automatically shut down. I have noticed that the system gets up to the temperature of 60 degrees when it is taking the load. What I wanted to know is that do I need to upgrade the CPU fan. Or should I go with the water cooling. I have a 40 inch desk fan. But it is not efficient enough to cool the system. So suggest me some tips to cool down my entire system. Here is my configuration.
    - CASE Antec TWELVE HUNDRED with 4 more fan @3,000 rpm
    - CPU I7950 @ 2.66
    - CPU cooler Zalman CNPS9700LED (Copper) CPU Cooler
    - Motherboard asus p6t se
    - ram 9 gb of OCZ DDR3 10666
    - Hard drives SSD OCZ Agility 60gb HHD 2t WD black

Re: Core i7 950 is Overheating

Well if you ask me one advice that I can give you is that you must try switching on to the different cooling fan. That will keep your system cool. Well if you are looking to go for the water cooling then let me tell you that it is temporary process and it will not benefit you much. So try looking out for a good CPU fan that will low down the temperature of your system. Well the temperature that you have specified i.e. 60 degrees in the CPU is very high and such temperature will cause the system to shut down. Terminate the processes that you think are not useful for you. That will decrease some load from your CPU.

I would advise you to get a good heat sink for the system. Check if the heat sink in your system is working properly or not. Probably it is not working well that’s why I am advising you to go and get the system replaced by a good heat sink. Well I will give you a list of good heatsinks that will probably help you out. Spire Thermax Eclipse II, Noctua NH-C14, Tuniq Tower 120Extreme Noctua NH-D14, Thermaltake Frio these are some of the best heatsink devices In the market available today. So you can go with any of these. Just try with my suggestion and let me know if it works for you.

Well looking at your configuration. I can say that you have four fans in your system, not counting the CPU fan. 4 Fans are sufficient enough to cool down your system. So my advice would be to better check the positions of the fans In the system. There can be a possibility that the fans are placed in the opposite side and thus the heat will be generated more in the system. So just check the positions and let me know if it is proper or not.

I would advice you to keep the surrounding temperature of the system at a low temperature. So that’s why it is better advised to run an air condition while you work on a system so that the surrounding temperature always remains cool. If your surrounding temperature is more then there will be no use of the cooling fans In the CPU. The CPU fan will exchange the hot air with the surrounding and hence the temperature will also be very high in the system. So I hope you have got the necessary information and will implement it accordingly.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Well let me inform you all that I have in all 5 fans for the system to keep it cooled down still that is not working. So I finally thought of switching to the CPU cooler. So that’s what I did some research in the internet and I found out that cool master v10 will be a perfect option for me. So I brought it and now my system is running at a descent temperature. Now it is running at almost 45 degrees. So right now I am happy with the outcome.