Thread: Dell Optiplex Gx280 compatible RAM

Dell Optiplex Gx280 compatible RAM

I have been using Dell Optiplex Gx280 as my personal system. Recently my computer’s RAM went off. So I tried to look in into some online retailers who provide hardware peripherals. But I couldn’t able to find the compatible RAM for this computer. So I tried the Dell site but it shows me a compatible chip for my model which PC2-3200 (DDR2-400) chip. When I searched for this number RAM I got 512MB Samsung PC2-3200 non-ECC DDR2 RAM. I really don’t have any idea about what this number means. So if anyone has good suggestion over RAM and about this compatible RAM also, then don’t forget to reply me.

Re: Dell Optiplex Gx280 compatible RAM

There are little things which I know about RAM. First tell me, the RAM which you have currently described above is ECC (Error Correcting Code) or not? As far as I know combining the ECC and non-ECC mutually is a no-set out. Otherwise what you have got while searching is just fine and a go. If you already contain a non-ECC RAM configured in your system then I think it will probably work fine with your Dell Optiplex Gx280. Make sure to check it what I described here.

When I looked into the Dell site I got one good option and which is more powerful than which you have described above. A 2 GB Dell licensed substitute Memory component designed for Dell OptiPlex GX280 / GX280 Mini-Tower / GX280 Small variety part computers. The specifications of this RAM as follows.
    • Type--DRAM
    • Technology--DDR2 SDRAM
    • Form Factor---DIMM 240-pin
    • Memory Speed---800 MHz ( PC2-6400 )
    • Data Integrity Check---Non-ECC
    • RAM Features---Unbuffered
    • Compatible Slots----1 x memory - DIMM 240-pin

As far as I know there are nearly 4 slots are available for RAM in your Dell Optiplex Gx280 desktop PC. The main advantage is each single RAM slot can hold or take DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 PC2-6400 with maximum amount of 1GB/slot. So that maximum memory capacity of your computer is 4GB. Another thing to say that your computer doesn’t support or hold up ECC. For the reason that ECC along with non-ECC modules must not be muddled up inside single PC. So make sure to install the modules or RAM that are previously inside your computer.

I think you should go for Dell itself because it is a model from Dell. No matter what component you want to upgrade the Dell provides a variety of good performer devices for its models. Dell recognized memory presented within the Memory Selector is completely well-matched and sustained by means of Dell. Memory existing currently might fluctuate in rapidity from the unique computer memory except has been eligible to effort into the system. Once assorted, the memory will carry out at the lowly pace occupied or the maximum speed permitted via the system.

As far as I know there are different generations of Dell Optiplex Gx280 models available in the market. If I am true which one is yours? I know one model of computer which has following specs.
    • Motherboard: Intel 915G Chipset
    • HD Bus: Serial ATA
    • Memory Speed: PC2-4200 240pin DDR2 SDRAM DIMM

This computer is configurable in addition to may perhaps dispatch by way of moreover DDR2-400 or DDR2-533. These are well-suited as well as be able to assorted, on the other hand when assorted they will defaulting to DDR2-400. Modules are required to be prearranged and fixed in couples in favor of Dual Channel approach.