Thread: NTLDR Error During XP Installation

NTLDR Error During XP Installation

Here’s the sitch:

I’m working on a Dell Optiplex GX280, service tag JRHVY71, which was bought new in 2006

Dell Riptide e219542 Optiplex GX280 SFF motherboard, BIOS version A08

Intel Pentium 4 processor CPU 2.80 GHz
    Processor L2 cache = 1MB
    Bus Speed = 800 MHz

Two 512 MB sticks of DDR2 SDRAM - Memory Speed: 533 MHz ( PC2-6400 ) -Data Integrity Check: Non-ECC

One S2 360 GB hard drive with Sata operation set for “normal” and Smart reporting “off”

The Problem: When I try to install Windows XP Pro fresh out of the package, everything is fine through the hard drive formatting process. However, when it restarts to begin the installation, I get an NTLDR error, and it asks me to restart.

What I’ve done: I’ve tested the memory. I’ve tried different CD Roms, different hard drives, and different installation disks, all with the same result. On the chance the BIOS was corrupt or infected, I downloaded BIOS version A08 and used a USB floppy drive to boot to DOS and flash the BIOS from a write protected floppy. I used the repair function on the installation disk in an endeavor to restore NTLDR and the master boot record from the CD. The result was that I got a HAL.dll error instead of an NTLDR error.

I’m thinking the motherboard is shot. Is there anything else I can try?

Re: NTLDR Error During XP Installation

I was having the same issue with the Windows XP installation. While i was installing the Windows XP i am getting the same issue. The first issue i have found is that my CD which i am using for installation of Windows XP was not proper. So i have changed the same. Another solution that help me is that my CD ROM is not reading the Disc properly. I have changed the CD ROM and after that when i am trying to install the same, issue got resolved. So if you can then go through the same and see whether this is working with the issue of yours or not.

Re: NTLDR Error During XP Installation

Quote Originally Posted by Jacek View Post
    So if you can then go through the same and see whether this is working with the issue of yours or not.
    Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I've tried different hardware, but maybe I'll try yet another CD Rom drive just in case.