Thread: Core 2 Duo processor for Toshiba Qosmio F20 laptop

Core 2 Duo processor for Toshiba Qosmio F20 laptop

I purchased brand new a Toshiba Qosmio F20, amid a 1.73 GHz and Intel Pentium M. as far as I know it has socket 479. When I searched into Google I got that the Core 2 Duo uses similar kind of CPU socket as in M. So my thinking is to replace the Pentium M with Core 2 Duo process. Is it actually possible to accomplish in laptop? Is there any kind of limitation or drawbacks doing this?

Re: Core 2 Duo processor for Toshiba Qosmio F20 laptop

Any motherboard that has been reorganized or manufactured to admit a core2duo encloses as well had its electrical energy circuitry restructured. As laptops are incredibly accurate creatures whichever frame that recognizes this category of processor will be setting out somewhat additional high temperature, somewhat you don't wish in an impertinent. Core2's as opposite to Pentium M's moreover require vaguely extra power to function, your frame won't be configured in favor of this.

I am not worrying about it much because the Pentium M's are extremely first-class processors. If your motherboard may accept the core2 duo then the BIOS will not going to accept. For this you need to either update the BIOS or flash the BIOS. This is because there is a BIOS lock profile which may not accept processors other than Pentium M. If this profile is compatible then of course you can run core2’s in your laptop.

I think that you should try it by adding someone’s Core2duo processor other than questioning here. There might be a little chance that the laptop’s motherboard will accept it. Once it accept it there will not be much limitations if drawbacks. The only thing you should care about is the CPU temperature. There may be voltage variation among those processors. So you need to verify in CPU-Z for CPU usage and temps and then set the appropriate voltage for Core2’s. I hope that you got my point.

If the motherboard or socket 479 is not accepting the core2duo then you need to flash the BIOS before running Windows or any other OS installed in your laptop. I think the easiest way to flash is BIOS is to take out the CMOS battery and then boot up the system. Once the system boots up run the flash utility for BIOS and then update for latest version. Make sure that the pins in that socket are properly matching the core2duo processor.