Thread: Graphics of the Intel Core i5-661

Design of the Intel Core i5-661

The new series is not only a high raw performance, so as the Core i5-661 is the fastest dual-core processor on the market and then replacing the Core 2 E8600, but also a high overclocking potential and low power consumption. These are not the merely debuts, as all Clarkdale products also compete with an integrated graphics unit, as a result, is not as usual made by or on a motherboard prepared, but on the CPU itself by means of a multi-chip package (MCP) exist. This is the Clarkdale the first processor in the world, united in accumulation to a CPU, a GPU on the package. There is a lot new about the integrated graphics processor unit in Clarkdale is not able to report what one hand good, and on the other hand, a bad news. The good news is that Intel has invested the last time, including in the much-needed bug fixing. The bad news: At the unconvincing basic architecture has not changed much. The "Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) HD" on the Clarkdale-processor is manufactured in 45nm process and holds 177 million transistors. The GPU has not receive the modern 32-nm process donated as the CPU. The GPU has to make do with DirectX 10 and OpenGL 2.1 (GMA 4500HD: OpenGL 2.0).

Re: Graphics of the Intel Core i5-661

Twelve so-called "execution units" (unified shader architecture), the buyer now available, while the predecessor still had to make do with the ten. Whether there were internal improvements or what an execution unit can accurately remains open, unfortunately. If this value is outside the visible area of an image (eg behind another pixel with the same X-and Y-coordinate) is it as "useless" and it not worked. Especially in 3D games this function comes into play, since often several layers superimposed on each other (overdraw), which are without Hierarchical Z complete on delivery to the execution units, whether an object is visible behind another object or not. Fast Z-Clear provides a significantly faster emptying of the Z-buffer after a frame was rendered. Without Fast Z-Clear so far, the entire Z-buffer before each new frame has been described with zeros, which add unnecessarily to the resource - required - particularly memory bandwidth.

In addition, the GMA HD can now handle the xvYCC color space, and this in the consumer market, however, hardly plays a role. Besides, Intel has some changes to the video features made. Thus, the GPU now has two play HD video files in parallel and speed (for Picture in Picture), which was previously not possible. The same applies to the transfer of audio. Speaking of Audio: There is also the use of a processor in a HTPC Clarkdale positive to report. For the GMA HD, the HD audio formats from Blu-ray (Dolby Digital +, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio and DTS-HD Master Audio) to pass through bitstream over HDMI or DisplayPort to an external decoder such as a multi-channel receiver . In the case, not the playback software, but the receiver would take to decode the audio.

Intel GMA HD is the first on-board graphics chip that is capable of (new ATI Radeon HD 5000-series can feature as well, but not onboard). The real on-board solutions from AMD and Nvidia, the HD audio formats via LPCM only pass to a receiver. In the case then the software used would take to decode the sound formats. Intel has put us to the test, including a preliminary version of PowerDVD is available with, we can confirm that Bitstream playback properly on a multi-channel receiver does. Even though the graphics unit is integrated in Clarkdale in the CPU, the monitor connections are necessary, of course, on a matching motherboard installed. There it is up to the manufacturers to obstruct D-SUB, DVI, HDMI or DisplayPort. Depending on the CPU, the GPU-Class on the GMA HD clocked differently. It acts on the Pentium 500 MHz with only G6950, on all the core and core-i3 i5 models (apart from the core i5-661) but at 733 MHz. The Core i5-661 controls the GPU to do with 900 MHz. Why is the Core i5-670 commented again with 733 Mhz is unclear. In comparison, the GMA 4500HD is a maximum of 800 MHz to work.

Makes a big jump with the GMA HD memory bandwidth, as the GPU in the core-ix processors can of course use the nifty integrated memory controller, while the older derivatives make the detour through the slow FSB must. About 21 GB / s come when using DDR3-1333 into existence at DDR3-1066 we have 17 GB / s. The maximum usable memory is 1,792 MB (GMA 4500HD: 768 MB). Finally, Intel GMA with the HD, the Control Panel reviewed the now shines in new splendor. The color of the chip giant has managed well, furthermore, we could not find any annoying bugs in the operation. Incidentally, anyone want to use, despite the integrated graphics processor unit with a Clarkdale external graphics card, do not worry needlessly over a high power consumption. For the GMA HD turns completely into the case.

The Intel DH55TC is built in ATX format and therefore a little smaller than regular desktop boards. The manufacturer installed a total of four DDR3-banks which can access storage with a maximum of 1,333 MHz. Drives can be operated at a total of four SATA II ports, and there are also two separate eSATA counterparts. For a floppy connector is provided as well, which can then no other IDE devices are used. One PCIe x16 slot is available on the DH55TC, also two PCIe x1 and one PCI slot veteran. On the I / O shield by the buyer prior to six USB 2.0, a PS2 and an onboard sound port. The network controller operates at a maximum speed of 1.000 Mbit. The connectors for the GPU in the Clarkdale-processor can be found on the I / O panel: a D-SUB, DVI and an HDMI connection are there ready for use, it lacks so only the DisplayPort standard.