Thread: Is Phenom II X4 920 compatible with Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 REV 2

Is Phenom II X4 920 compatible with Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 REV 2

I am looking for an upgrade of CPU in my computer. After several researches I finally decided to go for AMD Phenom II X4 920 processor. I choose this because it was under my budget limits. But the problem is i am using GA-M57SLI-S4 REV 2 motherboard. Will this processor going to work with Gigabyte motherboard. I have doubt about the compatibility and for that reason I have posted this thread hoping that someone might help me. I have downloaded the latest BIOS (FHD) also. So does it work fine?

Re: Is Phenom II X4 920 compatible with Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 REV 2

I think that with the latest FHD bios these boards will surely going to work with your new AMD Phenom II processor, conversely the hyper transport buss pace may be reduced. What I mean is you are not going to get full memory bandwidth because you are on AM2+”motherboard or CPU”. By this AM2 motherboard the normally the Bus speed will be reduced from HT3.0(5200MHz) to HT1.0(2000 MT/s) by installing AMD AM2+ CPU.

As far as I know only the Hyper transport speed will affected and downgraded. However it will not lacks the memory bandwidth as well as the CPU frequency. This affection only matters in a huge amount when you use onboard video or graphic. The reason is when you utilize the onboard video, the CPU accessing memory to provide for the graphics require has fewer bandwidth accessible for that. This will not affect when you use discrete graphics like the original Graphic card. You will get more sufficient bandwidth for other functions.

I completely disagree with some of the statements. I know that there is fairly dissimilarity among Hyper transport 1 and 3. You won’t be able to notice any difference when you browse the web and use the Microsoft office at a same time. But when you make use of some high end applications that are memory exhaustive, like Photo Shop, Indesign, Gaming, or lot of multiple apps then this configuration is not possible at this time you need to look into the new motherboard as well. This is my recommendation.