Thread: Overclocking not a problem with the LGA2011 Sockets

Overclocking not a problem with the LGA2011 Sockets

I have heard that the intel will be launching its LGA2011 platform in the coming year i.e 2011. I have heard that they will not be integrating the traditional graphic cards in this segment. Their focus would be to integrate the BCLK generator with the processor. This allows the users to go through the dividers and separate the frequencies of the clock generator toward different parts of the system. So i am thinking that the working of the LGA2011 with X68 chip set will be almost same as that of the LGA1366 platform with Intel X58 chip set. The only difference would be the price. So what i am asking is there anything new apart from the one i mentioned above and will intel launch anything which are descent overclockers and available in the mid range market.

Re: Overclocking not a problem with the LGA2011 Sockets

Looking at your statement in which you said descent overclockers in mid range market. I would say that if you want a performance for the CPU which is $800 and you want it in the range of $400 then probably you can. What you can do is to change the processor and overclock it. This will probably reduce your expenses. You can take an example of i7 core processor which will be available at a price of say $199. You can try with the overclocking process and it will allow you to deliver the performance that any $1000 CPU would afford to give you. So just look out for the compatibility issue and rest will be fine.

Yes, even i have heard that the pricing will go a little high because the yet to be launched LGA2011 will not be compatible with any of the motherboards. So in order to make it compatible they will be specifying the motherboard at the launch itself. So probably the difference would be of $300 or more. The processor cost is assumed to be in the same lines of that of the i7 core processor. But looking at the performance that Sandy bridge processors will yield that is 51.2 GB/s of system memory bandwidth using DDR3-1600. While the same i7 core would be yielding 38.4GB/s. So it would not be a bad idea to pay some extra bucks to get the sandy bridge processors.

The main thing to notice about the intel to compete with the nvidia and the AMD's are that they go for the higher-end multi-socket lane limited. The board that the intel launched LGA1356 had 24 lanes of 3.0, which gives more PCIe bandwidth and if compared to the current Tylersburg chipsets who have 36 lanes of 2.0 then the intel chipsets are having 50% more PCIe bandwidth. anyways its too early to talk about this facts we have to wait till its officially released.