Thread: Intel DP55KG: Occupied SATA port showing wrong channel in BIOS

Intel DP55KG: Occupied SATA port showing wrong channel in BIOS

I just contain single drive, namely the Intel 160 GB G2 SSD. I make use of SATA port 0 on my DP55KG. I know for a truth it is SATA port 0 as I contain twice, thrice checked by evaluating the ports to the most recent official manual viewable via PDF on Intel's website. I just currently reformatted once more Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate. I am utilizing the most recent 3878 BIOS and earlier than I again formatted, I enabled boot to USB so I could setup Windows from a thumb drive. While I was in the BIOS, I confirmed my SSD was on SATA port 0. Now that I have again formatted, I am utilizing the Windows generic AHCI driver and I am utilizing the most recent Intel Chipset drivers from the Intel website. I moved back into the BIOS to immobilize boot to USB and noted that the BIOS now reports that my SSD is on SATA port 1. Checked the board and the manual once more and I have it plugged in properly. Checked device manager and certain enough it show that Channel 1 is occupied and Channel 0 is blank. I just emailed Intel to report this as an insect. Doubt engineers will obtain the insect report, but have any of you observed this? At present I am anxious that this could cause troubles down the road. Mostly while bringing up to date the SSD firmware.

Re: 1. Intel DP55KG: Occupied SATA port showing wrong channel in BIOS

I also struggle with the similar problem on an Intel DP55WG board. I thought I was going crazy for a bit as I was annoying to get the hard disk on SATA port 0 to observe if it would resolve a further problem. I had with AHCI and not booting, and every time I checked in the BIOS the hard drive was at all times reported on SATA port 1 and the DVD ROM on 0 even if they were exchanged around. There appear to pretty one or two insects in Intel's firmware, not at all seen such things on boards from other manufacturers so maybe the final Intel board I purchase.

Re: Intel DP55KG: Occupied SATA port showing wrong channel in BIOS

I am able to re create the SATA port 0 bug. Assuming you contain your SATA drive physically plugged into Intel SATA port 0 as per the most recent official guidebook, if you alter SATA mode to IDE in the BIOS and after that reboot, then the BIOS will report that SATA port 0 is occupied as it should. If you alter the SATA mode to AHCI in the BIOS and reboot, then the BIOS will report that SATA port 1 is occupied and 0 is blank and this is called an insect or bug. This is with the most recent 3878 BIOS on the DP55KG motherboard. I just restructured Intel with my findings.

Intel technical support determined to RMA my board and they are sending a substitute. I think possibly I should just have it sent back somewhat than accepting it now. The board has been well other than this SATA problem. The only additional problem I have that possibly you could seem into is concerning the front fan and rear fan headers not providing sufficient voltage at boot up to power up two Noctua 140 mm fans. Intel tech support was not eager to raise the problem even though Noctua knows it is a trouble and situated about it on their website.

I can verify this trouble to be the similar for the DP55WG:
    • SATA 0 and 1 are interchanged
    • SATA 2 and 3 are interchanged
    • SATA 4 and 5 are interchanged

I physically linked my hard disks to the SATA 1 and SATA 3 ports on the desktop board in agreement with the sign on the board and the guidebook, but according to Windows 7 Device Manager the disks are associated to SATA 0 and SATA 2. The BIOS for the DP55KG and DP55WG is the similar, and with the most recent BIOS 4816 it indeed is not fixed up till now.