Thread: RAID5 failed 1 hard disk on ICH9R

RAID5 failed 1 hard disk on ICH9R

Guys, one of my friends has RAID5 set up on his computer. He is using 4 similar hard drive (WD1500 ADFD-0 150GB). That is running under ICH9R controller which is built in on his motherboard. RAID5 only used for the storage of the computer and also the windows partition. Now problem is that one of the four disks is not working properly and therefore the system is not able to load the windows. Whenever he try to start it then it shows the error message that says: "DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". I went to POST Matrix Storage Manager then it shows me that there are 3 hard discs which are as RAID MEMBER and the 4th one is "OFFLINE MEMBER”. I thought that I have to rebuild the array but there was only the options mentioned below.

1: Create RAID Volume
    2: Delete RAID Volume
    3: Reset disks to non-RAID
    4: Exit

I tried to search for the solution on the internet but was not able to found that. Please help us. Thank you for reading and replying for this post in advance.

Re: RAID5 failed 1 hard disk on ICH9R

I wish that you have the backup of the data. I would have certainly anticipated the terrible disk to have left into a failed status in its place of an offline state. This seems to be some odd. You should try to remove the disk which is showing offline. Once you are done with that then you should reboot the system. It is quite possible that at that time the raid volume will show up like degraded and be bootable. I wish that this will help you.

This problem may also be caused if there is no proper connection of the forth hard drive to your motherboard. To confirm that, you should open the cabinet and remove the connection of the hard drive from the motherboard. Reconnect that again to the motherboard. Make sure that the connection is proper and tight. You can also try to connect it with a new cable because it may be due to corrupted cable that is not providing the proper connection to the hard disk.

It is possible that the problem is with the hard drive that you are using. If the hard drive is corrupted then it is obvious that it will not get detected. If you want to confirm that then you can connect your hard drive to any other computer and see whether it is getting detected or not? If it is also not getting detected there then it will confirm that the hard drive is corrupted. I have not heard that the corrupted hard drive gets fixed. You should buy a new one and replace that with the defected one.