Thread: GA-MA770-DS3, which is the best CPU that can build on it?

GA-MA770-DS3, which is the best CPU that can build on it?

As described in the title I have the above board and I'm now about seven months, and I am satisfied but it interests me totally go as far as I can. At the moment I have a AMD Phenom X4 9850 (Black Edition) on it. I read that some build on it under certain conditions, the Phenom can but even if the TDP screwed down or something because otherwise the board is blown (<and that would be stupid). I don't want to take that risk. So thought to take some advice form your side.

Re: GA-MA770-DS3, which is the best CPU that can build on it?

Which revision you have? There is the revision 1 and Rev. 2 The Rev. No standing on the board (either the CPU socket on the board edge or in a corner), or can see in the BIOS. Rev. 1 uses the BIOS F1, F2, F3 ... while the Rev. 2 BIOS "FA", "FB", "FC" ... uses. What BIOS is on the outside, the boats on the POST screen (the screen where the Ram and the CPU and the drives are shown) behind the board name. The Revision 1 Phenom CPUs can officially only the first generation that must Revision 2 to the current flagship Athlon X6 1090T BE (which is just not at 965 in the list). Since the Athlon generation is much more economical, works on the revision of a reasonably cool but also most of the operations of recent CPUs. However, require from the models including Phenom X4 955, a BIOS update. That might be missing in the revision 1, so I would try a maximum of one X4 945 (4x 3GHz, 95W TDP). It is therefore not such a huge performance boost.

The 955 could run maybe, but that is definitely very particular. We had some users who have stuck without the official support in the BIOS to their boards and then go with 1600MHz were. AMD has just a little changed by this CPU to control the clock, so the CPU necessarily requires BIOS support in order to run with the factory specifications. Accordingly, I would be careful about where, because the BIOS could support the CPU (it runs everything as it should), it but it could not support (it runs too slowly or not at the computer). Update BIOS from a USB flash drive by using QFlash (integrated in the BIOS flash tool) actually works very reliably.

Thanks for the response I've checked-loving. I've heard that one a lot Bios update breaks can make and read on a page that I board with what I have (Rev. 1) can upgrade to the 955! (4 x 3.2 GHz). So I can save the money and maybe buy myself a new board? Which CPU because I can still sit on that? I have no lust to have to buy new board and then I may even have to buy new ram, at the moment because I indeed DDR2 Phenom 9850. I am sure that you all members will keep helping me.

This is only the case when the CPU is not yet supported. If AGESA is recent enough (with new BIOS), the CPU is also true. But in the absence of support tends to run the 955, with 1V on 1600MHz. For "small" processors, the problem occurred so far in the forum on the other hand not only at the 955 and probably 965 there were these problems. In an AM2 + board I would invest less than 200 euro. Since I would rather take a middle-class board, as the MA790X-UD3P. I would consider the board rather than a temporary solution, because when the bulldozers might no longer supports DDR2 memory (which is still not clear). The UD3P offers up a slightly smaller sound chip (less functionality and possibly worse sound), good facilities (even though Crossfire with x8).

I would squint at your place as well as the X6 1090T (or smaller X6). I've installed the recently which is quite good. The price is of course an entirely different league, but when even my old DQ6 so simple brings out as much clock the turbo ... I simply raised to 4GHz without increasing the voltage (more tact I've tried so far, to date no time). My X4 940BE I had on the same voltage at 3.5 GHz was barely stable, with temps but already at the limit during the X6 with 3 cores in the turbo does not have much air. AMD seems to have improved a lot since the manufacturing process. The 3.5 GHz I have currently set to all 6 cores as a maximum (so that I never "deteriorating" in comparison to the 940er), because the X6 is also much cooler than the X4, despite 50% more power (no wonder the voltage is so much lower here than in the 940er was necessary). Depending on the application you were using the 6-Kerner lot of performance by all six cores will be served, or a lot of power because the turbo clocked up a few pips. Even if the turbo system is not as complicated as Intel, so it still works very well. And with 1:41 K10STAT the turbo can also customize beautifully on Windows (when fully 1090T, because a "BE").

I am facing the same problem: In fact I have also said the board in Rev 1.0 version and would like to upgrade without having to change the whole system. currently operating the board with a AMD Athlon 5000 + BE and 4x 1GB DDR2-800. I am having the following questions:
    1. Apparently should be operated only CPUs with a TDP <95W. Would possibly run a 955 on it, if this one would previously undervolt?
    2. If so, how many volts would reduce out of reach there? Lt. the Specsheet differ from the maximum voltages 945 to 955 by 0.025 V. So a reduction dignity out of reach to be this value?
    3. Is possible despite the reduced voltage overclocking, or would be exceed by the undervolting, reduced power consumption 95W again?
    4. Should not the very latest beta BIOS (F8F) drive the CPU correctly?
    5. How much would my RAM (800MHz) slow down the CPU?
    I am currently in a situation where I need for my computer more powerful, but because of the imminent introduction of the AM3 socket + I hesitate now a AM3 system to tinker. So I thought me a pure CPU upgrade for the time being (for the next year) would give air until AMD brings out its new Bulldozer CPUs.