Thread: Smoke from the CPU

Smoke from the CPU

Hello friends I am using my computer system from past one year and it is working very fine and all these months there wasn't any need to change the internal hardware of my computer system. But yesterday when I was working on my computer system, I found that some kind of burning smell was cumming form the CPU. Fearing of something bad I eventually removed the plugs from the socket and then opened the CPU case. When I opened it there was a little smoke coming from the CPU main case where the motherboard id located. I checked for some broken wire but every thing was fine, so because I don't know the problem I didn't start the system again so as to avoid any further problem. So can any one help me to know what the precautions that I should take to overcome this problem, please give some instant reply as I am waiting for starting my system again.

Re: Smoke from the CPU

I think that this problem usually occurs when the power that is supplied to the CPU is more then what it requires. If the CPU is getting more power then which it is desired for then I guess that this will make the hardware components inside the CPU very hot and can cause some smoke inside the CPU. So its better to first check and see what are the electrical supply that the components needs and what are the measures of the supply that the components are currently getting.

Hey make sure that there aren't any loose connection of the cables inside the CPU as this can also cause some damage to the circuits and eventually cause some smoke coming form the CPU. To avoid this you have to check each and every cable especially the power supply cable that is directly attached to the processor. Also, it is advised to use spike guard with to ensure that the amount of power supplied is not exceeded from the minimal level. Also, to avoid any further problem it is recommended that you must call the hardware technician to solve the problem as he might be knowing the exact detail to solve this kind of problem.

Hey according to me I think that the processor is affected and that is the reason of smoke coming form the CPU. All the electrical power is supplied top the processor and from there it is forwarded to the other components of the CPU. So one of the things you can do is to remove the Processor and see to it that the processor hasn't turned black, if it has turned black then mostly you have to replace the processor by a new one.

Hey the same thing happened to me a few days back when I smelled smoke from the CPU. I don't have much knowledge of the internal hardware so I directly called the technician to fix the problem. When he opened the CPU he found out that the whole motherboard had turned black and was affected, So the only option left was to replace the motherboard or to buy a new system. This issue was due to extra amount of hardware components that is the Nvidia graphics card and Ram on the motherboard which consumed a lot of power and eventually put lot of pressure on the motherboard causing it to get damaged. So see to it that you don't have unnecessary components installed which consumes allot of power.

I also think that your motherboard is malfunctioned due to extra amount of power supplied to the CPU. Also, you have mentioned that it is just one year you are using the system so the question of components getting old and failing to cope the power supplied is out. The only thing left is that the you must see the CPU fan and see if it is properly working or not. If it is not properly working then it will make the Cpu hot and eventually can cause some damage.