Thread: Cannot distinguish between pci and pcie slots ?

Cannot distinguish between pci and pcie slots ?

I have got a desktop computer. My system is quite old , 16 GB of Hard Drive , 512MB of DDR RAM and a dual core processor of Intel. I purchased this system 3 years back , but since few months it is giving lots o problems, last month my system had a a no sound issue to due to the sound card, to resolve it I had to replace the sound card with a new sound card, and previous to that , there was no display in the the monitor screen., this was the video card was not mounted properly. Bot those issues where resolved with the help of my brother's help. But If I face such issue again I know the sound card and video card but do not know in which slots they are supposed to be mounted or inserted. Also tell me about the RAM slots as well. If any body has any idea about the slots being occupied for the the video cards and sound cards please do not hesitate to post your views. I will be very grateful. Awaiting your response

Re: Cannot distinguish between pci and pcie slots ?

The PCI is an abbreviated form of Peripheral Component Interconnect . It is a slot which is normally of white in color and is probably the shortest local system bus. It was first introduced by Intel first. It allows different types of cards to be mounted on it and add some extra features or special functionality to be added on the system. These card are called as expansion cards. The speed of these slot is slower than that of pci express slot. PCIie comes with 1x, 4x , 8x and 16x.

The most common type of card installed in the pci slots are the graphic cards, network card and and sound cards. Once these cards are installed in the slots they increase or enhance the performance of the system. You will be able to locate these types of card both in the personal computers and mac books. But if you are unsure in which slot the card must be installed , I make it clear the the pcie slots are bigger than that of normal pci slots.

But here the question arises why pci e was introduced ? The large difference lies in the data speed , the data in the pci slot is traveled in a parallel way, only in one direction at a time while the rate of data transmission in the pcie slot is lot more faster since it uses the serial bus which carries the data unidirectional and it does not share the bandwidth as well. When the computer boots up the main task of the pci slot is to first identify the hardware mounted on it. It is mostly of black in color and larger in size. The video cards have witnessed a remarkable development being used on pcie slots than compared to other slots.