Thread: Lenovo ThinkPad 15: How to disable shared memory

Lenovo ThinkPad 15: How to disable shared memory

Hello, I have a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge laptop with 15’’ High definition screen. With the specification of 3GB RAM, 320GB hard disk drive and compatible with windows vista ultimate 32-bit. From the few days I found that the RAM speed is getting slow, though only 60GB is full in my hard disk and the other space is empty and 2.30GB is taken from the RAM, I think this is occupied by graphics card. Is there any way to disable or remove the shared memory space in my machine? How to remove all the unused file spaces, for getting the appropriate speed with the RAM? Any information about this issue?

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad 15: How to disable shared memory

Go to the properties window of you’re my computer by right click on this and then proceed to the general tab and note down the RAM size. There you will also able to see the size of your hard disk drive also the version of the operation system that you have etc. now reboot the machine and start pressing the DEL button from your keyboard, it will appear the BIOS setting windows of the machine. Check all the tabs and the other sub tabs under that setting window. Look for the graphical interface card name with the size of that. Where you can able to reduce the size of the graphic card, minimize it up to the possible range. After the decrease the size scroll the page up and down for checking whether there any problem occur by this or not. Press f10 to save the changes and exit from that window. Restart the machine and again proceed to General tab under my computer properties window. This time you will definitely see that the RAM will increase.

I suggest you to disable the unnecessary visuals effects or using some other not needed file or folders in your machine , this will also reduce the performance speed of your ,machine. So go to control panel and then go to the program and feature option and look for the all unnecessary files and application those are installed in your machine, but these are not needed. Remove all of them from the memory, because these are also taking the space to run the applications. Along with that go to the Properties window of my computer and under that go to the general tab, and then in Advance setting option. Select the "Performance" tab and under that click on settings, click on the option which is named as Adjust the best performance and click on OK. Try with this; I hope this will definitely help you to speed up your machine without remove the shared memory. Or by removing all the unwanted visual effects, the performance level also can be upgrade, remember that after remove the effect delete all temporary files physically from the memory also from the registry editor.

I think this type of problem might be occurring for the memory remapping. So I recommend you to enable the memory remapping feature of your machine. For that go to the BIOS setting windows and make sure that the option is enabling. As per my knowledge the memory ramping feature is gives the memory to access Windows applications, for that it get some of the extra spaces. I am quite unsure about the name of this feature whether this is same in the all windows version or not. So for that, reboot the machine and press DELETE keyboard while the manufacturer logo will appear in the screen it will prompt you into the BIOS setting window. There you look for the memory remapping option click on that and enable that one. It may be situated with the name like memory extension or something relevant which is having the same meaning.

According to your post, I recommend you to adjust the AGP video aperture. This is the memory which is shared by the graphics card, which is used for the texture mapping and rendering operations in the memory. This memory is not used by the memory internally, because this memory is locked by the graphical interface. So from the BIOS settings windows you can able to adjust the memory which is occupying by the graphics card. The standard memory size is like 32MB,64MB or128MB, or you can also set it as the automatic mode, this will automatically adjust the space for occupying according the other devices which are compatible with that. Also suggest you to make sure that you are having the proper memory arrangement in your machine, I recommend you to do the memory defragmentation once, this will defrag all the unused file spaces which is occupying in the memory.
    With great power comes great responsibility - Spiderman's Uncle

The Greatest Sig Ever

I ma using the dedicated Video Card "Radeon X1600 Pro" which is having the capacity of 512 MB of the memory. My machine running with the windows 7 and the other specifications are like 3GB RAM along with the 320GB hard disk space and the Intel core 2 duo processor. The machine is getting very slow or freezes while I tried to play some of the low version games or to paste any big size of file from the disk or from USB flash drive. I checked 2GB is occupying in my shared memory but how to know which one is having this space? I think for this the machine is getting very slow. So now willing to disable to share the shared memory in my machine but don’t know how to do this? Is there any other way to speed up the machine, actually I can attach a extra slot in my machine memory, but don’t want to waste money now. Any suggestion about this problem will be appreciated greatly.

There is a simple solution to disable or to remove the dedicated memory, first of all you need to remove the traces of the video card that you are using currently. Uninstall from control panel and then proceed to program and feature and then select the video card and click on un-install. After that your system will require for the reboot, instead of click on later, restart the machine and now it depends on the motherboard of your machine, some of the task which are running in the background of your machine they are may turn on the onboard video, this can also done in the BIOS or by automatically in the board. So for that enter in to BIOS and check that, if you found that it runs then stop it from there. Now in the BIOS window check the shared memory or video RAM, whether they are working fine or now, make sure that they are occupying the proper space in the memory and still of this one taking more space then there will some think else which is taking the extra space in the shared memory. Another option is that it might be also shared by the PCI, so for that in the BIOS window look fro the option which is named as display first', this one is also occupying with then video card, select the PCI and disable the option and reboot the machine, I am sure this time you will see the memory is occupying the correct memory space.