Thread: CPU cooler/fan having bad neighborhood with NB fan...

question CPU cooler/fan having bad neighborhood with NB fan...

Hi, i would really appretiate if you would help me with the following issue. I was putting together a PC, and it turned out that motherboard (Abit IX48 GT3) which is standard ATX size (not mini ATX or something) has the main processor and the Northbridge so cramped that I cannot install any decent CPU cooler (planning to install Prolima Megahalems). The main problem is that the Northbridge heatsink, in accordance with the instructions, is supposed to have a small fan on the top of it (fan is included with the MB). It is possible to install the Megahalems with the Northbridge fan not installed. In this case they do not touch each other, however the Megahalems slightly hangs over the NB heatsink – about 0.5 cm over the edge of the later), but it is not possible to have it together with the NB fan, in either direction.

The question is – is the NB fan necessary? Many computers do not have NB fan at all. If heat dissipation is an issue, I think that my case (Antec P183) provides for pretty good ventilation (4 case fans – 2x in the front, 1x in the rear and 1x on the top of the case, plus separate air vent for PSU).

Or, perhaps, there are other solutions, like changing NB heatsink to another not that high?

tl; dr version: the CPU and NB are way too close together and the CPU cooler is big. If i put the CPU cooler on, theres simply no room for the NB fan. What to do?

Thanks!

Re: CPU cooler/fan having bad neighborhood with NB fan...

Well, do you face any high temperature issue on your pc configuration or such? Usually the Northbridge needs a heatsink as such, but FANs are not necessarily required. Maybe try to start up your PC and check the temps - it could be that the std HS keeps the NB cool enough. You can also try to cut of the flaps off the heatsink to make room to the nb fans, which wont have any problems on the performance of the heatsink at all.