Thread: How to check whether a processor is 32- bit or 64-bit

How to check whether a processor is 32- bit or 64-bit

Hello friends I am using my computer system form last one year and still dont know whether my processor is a 32 bit or a 64bit. I know this is really stupid question to be asked but I really want to know how can I be able to know which processor am I using. Is there any software to know about it or it is that there this is written some where in the internal hardware of the CPU. So can one help me to know about this. I would be thankful to any one who comes up with the solution.

Re: How to check whether a processor is 32- bit or 64-bit

Hey if you want to know what processor are you currently using then I would suggest you that you should remove your CPU case and check on the processor where it would be written whether it is 32 bit or 64 bit processor. Also I would like to tell you that there is no real software to find out which bit processor are you using. So if you want to know which bit processor are you currently using so the only options is to remove the CPU case and check the top surface of the processor where it could be written which processor are you currently using. Also, please be careful while removing the case such that you dont damage any other hardware.

Hey you can come to know which processor you are currently using by knowing whether you are using P4 or something else. If you are using P4 then its sure that you are having a 32 bit processor. mostly all P4 CPU are generally 32 bit processors. Also, the other way is to look into the internal hardware by opening the CPU case and locate where the processor are located and then on the top surface of the processor you will find which processor you are currently using. So you can use either of the option to locate which processor is there on the CPU.

Hey you will be able to locate which processor you are currently using by yourself by checking out which drivers you are currently using. Usually, there is a bit of difference between drivers for 32 bit and 64 bit processors. If you are able to locate the drivers installed into your computer system then you will be able to get to know what processors you are currently having on the system. Also, one more option is that you can install a 64 bit driver into your system and then see if it works properly or not. If it does then your processor is a 64 bit or else your processor is a 32 bit. So you can choose which ever option you would like and can make out the query. I would suggest you to use the second option.

Hello friends, yesterday when I was installing a software onto my system I got an unusual message saying that the "application wont run on the system" . After rectifying the problem I came to know that the error was related to some kind of bit error. Now can any one tell me what is this error related to, is that the application which I am trying to install is of some other bit than my processor or something else. I have opened my CPU case to check what is the processor bit but i was unable to locate over there. So can any one help me to find what is the problem and what should be done to overcome this problem.

litmon Guest

Open Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Information -> System Summery -> System Type here you can find that your processor is 64 bit or 32 bit.

Hey this is what you can do to check the processor
    • Click on the Start menu , and then click Run.
    • Type sysdm.cpl on the textbox , and then click OK.
    • Now Click on the General tab. The operating system is displayed as follows:
    • If the value that corresponds to Processor starts with x86, the computer is running a 32-bit version of Windows.
    • If the value that corresponds to Processor starts with ia64 or AMD64, the computer is running a 64-bit version of Windows.