Thread: Northbridge cooling in MSI pro-e x58 motherboard

Northbridge cooling in MSI pro-e x58 motherboard

I own a computer which is having the brand new motherboard called MSI pro-e x58. While running the system I assumed that the NorthBridge was really getting hot nearly 89c even without overclocking. So I have decided to do something nasty with NorthBridge Heat Sink which I should not be. When you lookat the heatsink you will notice the gap between 2 levels. There I found a small 12V DC fan lying around . so I connected this fan with the molex connector and twisted a copper wire to it. After attaching it I got the problems with the DDR3 memory stick. Now I thought that I did a terrible mistake.Can anyone suggest me about this?

Re: Northbridge cooling in MSI pro-e x58 motherboard

First of all I want suggest you hardly that don’t ever go alter the brand new motherboard without much knowledge. But I am happy to tell you that you have did the right thing. Instead of messing with the motherboard you should allow a little airflow so that it can help it to quit the temperature. If the temperature is too noisy then find a way to slow it down. The 89c sounds like a too high temperature. This will happen sometimes when there is low memory and lot of operations or the processor is under load. You must have checked the heatsink attachment to the chip. I heard that this motherboard can safely handle nearly 100c temperature.

If you are aware about high temperature, then you have several options to do
    • Contact the MSI service provider and ask about RMA
    • Keep the surrounding environment as cool as possible. Be careful about overclocking process.
    • If possible you may add some internal cooling system such internal fan. Note that do not attach the cooling Fan by yourself. Some motherboard do not supports the cooling Fans very easily.
    • You can use aftermarket cooler also.
    • Remove the thermal interface pad from the NorthBridge/ SouthBridge and add some high quality thermal.

The north Bridges are not the proper place to mount the cooling Fans. It is very difficult to attach them. Also know that the ambient temperature also effect the overall temperature. Try to use larger fans which have lower RPM, Higher CFM and less noise. If you really want to lower the temperature of the north bridge then there alternative option called water cooling. At last make sure power supply is sufficient with proper CFM to pull heat away.

If your alteration on motherboard doesn’t seem to be working then I have few other options which you may try. Before trying this take the motherboard out.
    • Can buy another heatsink for South Bridge
    • Gently bend the heatpipe and leave the NorthBridge heatsink attached.
    • Saw the heatpipe and North Bridge heatsink off
    • Re-weld the wires to heatsink. Make sure that liquid should not flow out.