Thread: Which is better ram among 2000 mhz, 1600 mhz and 1333 mhz

Which is better ram among 2000 mhz, 1600 mhz and 1333 mhz

Hello friend I have got some confusion over the past few days in the speed of the RAM. I have three kingston RAM, with 2000 mhz, 1600 mhz and 1333 mhz. Now the thing is that I would want to know that which one would be better when downclocked or overclocked. Can any one help me to find this solution.

Re: Which is better ram among 2000 mhz, 1600 mhz and 1333 mhz

Hey, most of the time some Rams do not run faster as the desired speed, than the same ram that will actually perform better when downclocked along with tighter timings. Ram downclocked to 1600Mhz out performed the same modules clocked at 1800 and 2000. So its very difficult to say which would be better performed when compared to other. Also the condition in which it is downclocked also differs. In some environment, the same RAM will work faster than the same RAM in other environment. So it is quite difficult to say as it can be that RAM with lower MHZ will outperform those with higher MHZ.

Hey why don't you perform your own test of verifying which is better than the other.
    The Test Conditions is as follows:

• First of make sure that before starting the test you have reboot your system
    • You can either use SiSandra, Everest, and Passmark programs to carry out the test..
    • Perform each test 3 using 3 different RAMs, and record the best result.
    • Setup Bios manually,and record the cpu clock speed along with the volts .
    • Make sure that Cpu/NB frequency remained as close as possible and should not exceed more than 50Mhz difference

I would suggest you that the test which is given above will yield different result every time you perform the test. The result wouldn't be constant as the previous case. Also, most of the time the slower the RAMs speed the more performance it will give. Problem is, when you go to translate this in to real world performance, the results are much less significant. Also considering the todays world cpus and all the controllers, it becomes extremely difficult to overclock the RAM and CPU at the same time to extreme levels. Only if other RAM is a little of medium speed the other one will really be high.

Yes, I would like to say that, you will probably see better performance at higher frequencies with RAMs with lower speeds. But you can't avoid the timings completely because they can make a difference. I would like to tell you that I would go for 1600MHz stick which comes at a affordable cost and then I would overclocked it rather then tighten timings. Also, if the memory controller has stability problem at the higher frequencies than tightening timings and lowering frequency can maintain or even exceed performance of a higher frequency operation. So its better to go for a 1600mhz than a bit less or a bit more speed of the RAMs..

Hey I am also wondering about the same thing which would be more faster as compared to others and I would want to know that is there any real test that I I can use for finding out the accurate reading. I have run memory intensive applications and timed the results and so I found out that timings take the majority of the tests. Also in some cases memory was also an important factor that I have noticed. The more the memory the more the time took by the RAM. When you move the data from one block to the other you will find that lot of these transaction are slower with high speed RAM then with low speed RAM. So can some one come up with the exact test for this problem.

Well I would like to advice you all the RAMs speed is also depended on the processor that you are using. I have a 12 GB of DDR3- 1600 mhz working absolutely fine without having any problem. But most importantly I use an i7-965, so it may have allowed higher memory multipliers than would have otherwise been available. Also if you use some different processor this speed would vary instantly. For example, that RAM you linked to has a CAS latency of 9 cycles at 1333 MHz (6.75ns). However, the higher end memory, such as the Corsair Dominator 6GB kit has a CAS latency of 8 cycles at 1600 MHz (5ns).