Thread: Optiplex 960 powers on but shuts right back off

ohmy Optiplex 960 powers on but shuts right back off

I recently recieved a used Dell optiplex 960 when i plug it in it turns on as normal the power button lights up blue no diagnostic codes, then it turns right back off. I have tried everything from switching the power cord, removing memory the hard drive and reseating them but still the same effect. When i remove the memory the power stays on but it gives the buzzing noise as if the memory needs to be placed in. so i kknow its not the power supply. The light comes on the mother board also. I just dont know what else to do. I had the same problem with an optiplex 955 thats why i got this one . can someone please help...

Re: Optiplex 960 powers on but shuts right back off

There are many reasons for this type of behavior, it might be your power supply or if the power switch is not attached perfectly with the motherboard. Though you checked the PSU, it needs to deliver quite a few voltages. The first thing that takes place at the time you on the system is motherboard verify all the voltages. IN case any of them is absent or out of acceptance the motherboard turn on a line that tells the power supply to shut back down.

so i should try to reconnect the power supply??? take it off and reconnect? if that doesnt work do you have any suggestions?

Ovreheating may be the issue as well. It could be that the system is getting overheated very soon. You have to check out for the heat sink. Add some thermal paste to the heat sink and then look out for the PSU. Now try to restart the system and check. I hope you may now be able to get the system to work without getting it any problem. It is also very essential that your motherboard should get proper voltages to all the segments. Then the system would work fine.