Thread: Replacing my motherboard

Replacing my motherboard

I have a system that I use for watching movies (HD some times) and gaming. It's been doing fine so far, but recently my motherboard has gotten damaged. The system doesnt post and the cpu fan spins for a tenth of a second and stops. I checked the PSU and the cpu fan independently with a working system and they are ok.

My system used to be
    a 700 W Corsair PSU
    an ASUS p5be socket 775 mobo
    2 1 gig sticks of 666 mhz ddr2 ram
    an ATI 4890 video card
    a core 2 duo, e6600

So far my rig worked as a downloading/watching/gaming rig, though Ive felt Im a little low on Ram, especially if I want to upgrade to Windows 7.

Now I have to replace my motherboard. Do people recommend just getting a new socket 775 motherboard and some ram? Should I replace my current ram sticks or use that alongside the new ram?

OR

that I get a new motherboard for the newer series of chips, an i3 or i5 and ram with that?

My budget works for either of those options, but I'd rather not upgrade unless I can expect a significant benefit for my current use case. Or if it becomes cheaper in the long run. If I can expect to run games for the next year or two with this config then I'm fine not upgrading.

Re: Replacing my motherboard

I would suggest you to go for EVGA nForce 680i SLI Motherboard which is been embedded with Intel 775 Socket. It has very good feature that is it supports Intel Core 2 Extreme, Core 2 Quad, and Core 2 Duo NVIDIA ForceWare Unified Driver Architecture. Basically this board is very good for gaming purpose. You can also upgrade the Ram memory to its maximum capacity. So I would suggest you to go for this motherboard and upgradation of RAM instead of opting for new Intel core i3, or i5 series. Also get the latest driver updated for the video card.

why sli though?

Also I have an ATI card, will there be an issue?

Also I have an ATI card, will there be an issue?
    According to me ATI card is compatible with the EVGA nForce 680i SLI Motherboard. So no issues... Even I think that "SreeKanth" is suggesting the right. It would be anytime better that you just go for this motherboard instead looking for Core i3 or Core i5 series.