Thread: How to install network and sound card on a PCI slot

How to install network and sound card on a PCI slot

I have got a desktop computer. I do not have much knowledge about the computers. But I know a few things regarding the motherboard and it's components. I have a got a integrated sound card installed in the PCI slot. But now I need an internet connection at my place so do I require a network card for that. Please help me to accomplish this task?

Re: How to install netwok and sound card on a PCI slot

PCI stands for peripheral component interconnect. The number of PCI card varies in the requirement and the type of manufacturers of the motherboard. If you talk about a standard motherboard, let us take ATX motherboard, it will have two conventional PCI slots for various expansion cards and a PCI-E 1x slot or a PCI-E 4x slot( this PCI express card varies between different models and brands.)

Card that can be used in a PCI slot are network card, disk controllers, tv tuner card, modems sound card and USB or serial. PCIe is a advanced PCI slot. The main difference between a PCI and PCIe is in the topology. PCIe use serial peer to peer link link rather than a parallel shared link used in PCI. These can be used to install video cards or graphic card which are required to improve the graphic quality.

If you are having sound issue or network issue such as, your media player plays the music file but there is no sound from the speaker. If there is no hardware failure and the drivers are installed properly , then according to me the issue is with the sound card . Most of the people do a common mistake, despite of having explicit sound card installed they connect their sound cable to the integrated port available in the motherboard rather than connecting it to the sound card.

The PCI card can be installed following below given steps:
    • If you are replacing a card, remove the current driver for the card from the operating system.
    • Perform an orderly computer shutdown using the operating system menu.
    • To disconnect a network cable, first unplug the cable from your computer, and then unplug it from the network wall jack.
    • Turn off any attached devices and disconnect them from their electrical outlets.
    • Disconnect the computer power cable from the wall outlet, and then press the power button to ground the system board.
    • Open the computer cover.
    • Press the lever on the card retention arm and raise the retention arm.
    • If you are installing a new card, remove the filler bracket to create a card-slot opening, then continue with step 9.
    • If you are replacing a card that is already installed in the computer, remove the card.
    • If necessary, disconnect any cables connected to the card. Grasp the card by its top corners, and ease it out of its connector.
    • Prepare the card for installation.
    • Place the card in the connector and press down firmly. Ensure that the card is fully seated in the slot.
    • If the card is full-length, insert the end of the card into the card guide bracket as you lower the card toward its connector on the system board. Insert the card firmly into the card connector on the system board.