Thread: Upgrade dual core to Quad or replace platform

Upgrade dual core to Quad or replace platform

I have been using normal processor for past 1 year and now i want to upgrade the system with best processor. For a new system to replace my 1 old Acer desktop. I am looking for a system which will work better. I can keep upgrading RAM, video cards, etc. But i cannot invest again and again on the processor and motherboard... So, I am thinking which will be better for me. Dual core, Core 2 duo, or Quad core? Which processor will work better and will last for longer time.. Please suggest some solutions for this query..

Re: Upgrade dual core to Quad or replace platform

I think you should just have a look at the specifications of your motherboard and check whether that it can support the quad-core processor or not.. In the past, I had got Giga-byte motherboard.On Giga-byte website, they had all their motherboard models displayed along with their specification's. I just had a look on it and saw all those processors who were compatible with the motherboard of the computer.. But even if the motherboard say, it supports Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad that does not mean that, that particular motherboard supports all processors..

If you are trying to make comparison between a dual core processor and quad core processor, in terms of "3D graphic gaming", the quad processors are far ahead than the dual core processors... Due to some of its features like higher multi-tasking ability and multi-threading capacity of 3D gaming software's, quad core processors are simply great and are very much comfortable with the 3D gaming..

The Intel quad core processors provides maximum clocking speed (say around 3 Ghz) which is comparable to the high end dual core processors and also it is a lot more expensive than Intel dual core processors. With a greater (12 Mb) L2 cache, the processor speed of the quad core processors are quite high. Any how you will not find any difference between the dual core processor and core 2 duo processors,unless the intensive 3D gaming applications are used..

The reason why the increased speed of the quad core processors due to multitasking ability in it, is certainly not useful. Most of the softwares are not compatible to run on the quad core processors. The software that is being run should have a multithreading facility in it.. Otherwise it will not be executed. That is, it should be programmed to be able to use the four cores at a time! Their are very limited softwares that can manage this. So quad core is very useful for multi tasking purposes while doing basic tasks, dual core is suitable..However, there is an increased multitasking ability due to division of tasks among the chips or you can say all work is done by several different threads. So quad core processors can be fast but not twice as fast.
    Last edited by Beverly Archer; 02-11-2010 at 03:10 AM.

Quad core processors are mainly used for multi tasking purpose and dual core processors are used for basic purposes. For eg: If you run Adobe Photoshop( Very famous software for images and pictures and more) on a quad core, which has a multithreading facility, you will be able to see the application running and executing faster as compared to that on a dual core computer. Though the clocking speed of the quad core processors is not substantially higher than dual core processors, quad core processors are mainly used for multi threading purpose. Whereas dual core processor is used for daily use..

If we talk in terms of performance of both processors, then quad core processor wins the race over the dual core processors in terms of multitasking ability and multi threading ability. Today more and more softwares are catching up and being upgraded with multithreading ability only. Which means that buying a quad core processor is worth investment for the future. Once you have upgraded your system with quad core processor then you won't have to upgrade your system for a long time... That's for sure!!! So according to me you should go with quad core processor.