Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Intel Q9400 Core 2 Quad Processor

Motherboard Processor & RAM

Old 29-10-2010

Intel Q9400 Core 2 Quad Processor

I have recently got Intel Q9400 Core 2 Quad Processor which specifies the speed of 2.66 GHz with L2 Cache 6MB / FSB 1333 MHz.
My system specs are :
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz
4 GB RAM
But when I tried to check the performance of the processor by software from Intel, "Intel Processor ID Utility" I was very surprised to see that all four cores are working at frequency of 1.99 GHz. Which was really low as compare to the specified on the specification of this processor I am not able to fix the reason of such low performance. I am considering as there is several trouble as the frequency reported as it is not up to the mark and it is quite expensive to have this, so if anyone having same processor and facing similar type of issue please let me know the issue and the solution for the same.

Old 29-10-2010

Re: Intel Q9400 Core 2 Quad Processor

I think this is not the problem with your processor instead there is no problem with your processor. I think that it?s presently the Enhanced Speed Stepping thing and it will surely change when you locate some load on it which will make it work little faster and manage lots of work. This will increase the performance and the speed to your processor to the maximum specified. Let me know the speed of the processor after you install certain applications and load to your processor.
Old 29-10-2010

You can for the setting into the BIOS and do certain settings which may resolve the performance problem with the speed of your processor. You need to have the following setting done :
  • CPU Hyper Threading ? Enabled
  • Limit CPUID Max to 3 ? Disabled
  • CPU Enhanced Halt ? Enabled
After above setting problem will be surely resoled.
Old 29-10-2010

I want to know if you are using any software application for overclocking or underclocking the processor. If not then you can use various overclocking tools to increase your clock speed of the processor, you can refer below link for more on it here - Guide on How to safely Overclock your computer . Other than this you can try to increase the CPU cooling which will ensure that the system doesn’t get affected by the overclocking and processor provide you with the specified speed.This will surely resolve your problem with the Intel Q9400 Core 2 Quad Processor providing you with less performance and make sure you perform overclocking properly and correctly to get best possible result in your processor performance.
Old 29-10-2010

You can also attempt to mount more RAM / faster RAM since the faster the RAM can send data to the CPU and the faster the Intel Q9400 Core 2 Quad Processor can process it.You also need to make sure that your processor can perform as fast as possible and to get it done you need to make sure it can access data from the hard drive competently. For this you have to speedstep facilitated in your BIOS for this you need to makes sure your processor doesn't overheat. You can either disable speedstep or get an aftermarket heatsink done in your system.

TechArena Community > Hardware > Motherboard Processor & RAM
Tags: , , , ,