Thread: Problems of IPMI v2.0 on intel S5000PAL

Problems of IPMI v2.0 on intel S5000PAL

I have an Ebay Power System purchased together with:
    • S5000PAL 1x Intel Server Motherboard (SSI format, not ATX, for rack mounting)
    • 2 x Intel E5320 Quad Core Xeon 1.86 GHz with active fan (for now only one CPU installed)
    • 2x 1GB Elpida FB-DIMM
    • 400 watt power supply
    Since I have no rack chassis, the system is initially on the table - well insulated with of static film. My problem now is that I simply can not turn the system!! The board did not like a normal ATX board connector for the power switch, reset switch, HDD LED etc - but a 24 pin 'SSI-compliant front panel header' everything combines. The manual of the PSL board is the SSI front panel connector on page 58 (59 according to Intel), broken. From the manual of S5000PSL boards I have seen that I probably switch the power on pin 11 and 13 must be stuck (Power and Ground) - but nothing happens. Out of sheer desperation I've also green ATX power cable with a black short-circuited by the screwdriver - all the LEDs light up, the fan starts up - but if I let go of everything is back. Then I'm 'intrusion' Crimea become aware of the - the signals are when the case is closed. If I ATX Power Switch to pin 11 and 13 and attach pin 20 and 17 close a short (= intrude intrusion), the system boots but unfortunately not. On page 15 in S5000PAL manual is also beside the intrusion in the SSI panel integrating a connector of a second separate the speech (heading MM) - I have also shorted with a jumper - but it will not boot the board. Would appreciate great if someone could help me - otherwise I will not beat around or not, are probably me with this damned expensive server chassis to have to buy a plug ...

Re: Problems of IPMI v2.0 on intel S5000PAL

Have you tried to remove the foil, because this is conductive. After removing the foil, check out for the burn marks or melted spots. There are possibilities that your S5000PAL has some issues in it. Well guess there probably had to buy a new power supply connector which is close to you for your ... and the mainboard can shoot fast ... one probably. It is already happening ... but now you want the net to try to paint the wall first with it suitable power supply.

Since I am facing the same problem, I thought to post my query here, instead of starting new thread. I'm functioning on a monitoring system of a not many servers in the company. Now I got some intel servers (S5000PAL series) with RMM2 module on it. And I searched and observed that I can use ipmitool (IPMI) for scrutinizing some sensors. (I used the tool previous on other servers and it works superb, and I made my individual script and desire to use that one also for the intel servers). So this was a bit a synopsis what I want to do. Now I was reading some pdf of the RMM2 module and saw that you have an IPMI tab on the RMM2 web interface. So I set the IPMI configurations like in the pdf. Now if I utilize the ipmitool command I get some mistakes, I searched a while for it but not inaudibly find a solution that works. Command i send:
    Code:
    $ ipmitool -I lanplus -o intelplus -H 10.10.10.231 -U "admin" -P "password" sensor
    > ERROR: Unable to establish IPMI v2 / RMCP+ session (*)
    > Get Device ID command failed
    > Unable to open SDR for reading

@ Frieda.

IPMI defines monitoring sensors to the hardware in the so-called Sensor Data Records (SDR) . For a single sensor in the Sensor Data Record, numerous data and properties are stored. I think that you should check the Sensor Example. In this example we consider a voltage sensor with an Intel SR2500 server S5000PAL motherboard. The output of ipmitool sdr-v shows this sensor:
    Code:
    Sensor ID: BB +3.3 V STB (0x16)
      Entity ID: 7.1 (System Board)
      Sensor Type (Analog): Voltage
      Sensor Reading: 3388 (+ / - 0) Volts
      Nominal Reading: 3302
      Normal minimum: 3,216
      Normal Maximum: 3,406
      Upper critical: 3612
      Upper Non-critical: 3,509
      Lower critical: 3027
      Lower non-critical: 3,113
      Positive Hysteresis: 0.017
      Negative Hysteresis: 0.017
      Minimum range sensor: 2,993
      Maximum sensor range: 3595
      Event Message Control: Entire Sensor Only
      Readable Thresholds: lcr lnc unc ucr 
      Settable Thresholds: lcr lnc unc ucr 
      Threshold Read Mask: lcr lnc unc ucr 
      Assertion Events: 
      Assertions Enabled: lnc-lcr-unc + ucr + 
      Deassertions Enabled: lnc-lcr-unc + ucr +

ipmitool sensor get SENSORNAME is a specific sensor information to:
    Code:
    [Root @ test server ~] # ipmitool sensor get "Server Board Temp
     Locating sensor record ...
     Sensor ID: Server Board Temp (0x30)
      Entity ID: 7.1
      Sensor Type (Analog): Temperature
      Sensor Reading: 39 (+ / - 1.500) degrees C
      Lower Non-Recoverable: na
      Lower Critical: 5.000
      Lower Non-Critical: 10.000
      Upper Non-Critical: 61.000
      Upper Critical: 66.000
      Upper Non-Recoverable: na
      Assertion Events: 
      Assertions Enabled: lnc-lcr-unc + ucr + 
      Deassertions Enabled: lnc-lcr-unc + ucr + 

[Root @ test server ~] #
    As a server, thereby a SR2500 system is used. ipmitool sdr list all sensors with current readings and status information. The limits are in contrast to ipmitool sensor not shown here.

ipmitool sdr list|elist reading the Sensor Data Records (SDR) and displays sensor information. This sensor name, Reading and status are displayed. If the command is to be called elist displays additional information. As a type can be optionally specified:
    • all (All SDR records - Sensor and Locator)
    • full (Full Sensor Record)
    • CompactFlash (Compact Sensor Record)
    • event (Event-Only Sensor Record)
    • mcloc (Management Controller Locator Record)
    • fru (FRU Locator Record)
    • generic (Generic SDR records)