Thread: Blinking cursor during startup in Compaq presario

Blinking cursor during startup in Compaq presario

I have a Comapaq presario laptop, I had a virus issue and my laptop was working too slow, so I re installed the operating system , but as I restarted the laptop after installation, my windows screen did not appear as it did normally, instead there was a black colored screen with a blinking cursor on the top left of the screen. I thought my key board will work there but it did not. Please help me to get rid of this screen.

Re: Blinking cursor during startup in Compaq presario

This screen is a black screen where you will see a blinking cursor, but you will not be able to do any thing with your keyboard and mouse. This happens when the computer tries to boot from any device which is not bootable i.e other than the hard drive. Just check if there is any flash drive or portable hard drive connected to the USB port. If there is any USB device connected to the laptop remove it and reboot the system.

If you have any other O/s installed such as ubuntu, try to boot from it and If the boot is successful. Once you boot is complete, just recollect if you have recently upgraded or installed any software , application or game, uninstall it immediately and restart the system. I think this might help you to get rid of that blinking cursor and black screen.

If the solution mentioned by Balamani does not work, then according to me you should check the BIOS settings, in it check the Boot sequence . The primary booting device i.e your HDD must always be at the top of the order. If the HDD is not at the top , highlight it and hit Enter key. Prior to this your laptop was booting from a device that was not bootable such as floppy disk.