Thread: Difference between Windows 7 native AHCI drivers and Intel RST drivers

Difference between Windows 7 native AHCI drivers and Intel RST drivers

I have recently upgraded my PC from vista to windows 7 and that to f the 32 bit windows vista to 32 bit windows 7. In vista the Intel storage manager disk drivers where used as the source of the drivers. Now as I am using the windows 7 so in the windows 7’s Device Manager, I observe the standard "Disk Drives" division and they were saying that "ST3250410AS ATA Device" for each of the drives. Now the thing here is that I confused regarding the drivers which were earlier present in my system and which are present now they are altogether different. Please help me knowing the difference between them Windows 7 native AHCI drivers and Intel RST drivers and also let me know which one is the better.

Re: Difference between Windows 7 native AHCI drivers and Intel RST drivers

keep in mind that Windows 7 is a comparatively small update of Vista. The drivers are essential to talk to disk drives are extremely easy - they actually don't alter over time. Remember that these aren't RAID drivers, they are just software Level that passes I/O instructions to the physical or logical drives. I wouldn't be worried at all that they're a year old - in a way it's in fact a bit of an approval that they were hard enough and never to have desired patching since then.

I don't make use of RAID as a result I can't actually help you with your question. I believe the RAID protocols for the chip are based on AHCI, and I am familiar with you that you can place individual disks with the chipset in RAID mode - so I'm guessing that you could just change to RAID mode, organize everything as lone disks, and it would work. I hope that this information will help you for sure and also will solve all your queries regarding these drivers.

First of all thank you for considering my problem and also for spending your vital time for finding the solution. The thing here is that I was confused in these two drivers but now as the information provided by you people it is easy to understand both of them and also the difference between these two. Also is there is any way that I can use both of them together I know it is not possible but still if there is any way then let me know because it seems to me that these drivers are useless in if we change their or we put them in the different operating system from which they doesn't belong to.
    Last edited by Dakshina; 28-10-2010 at 04:34 AM.