Thread: Processors and its categories

Processors and its categories

I am a student from a non technical background. I have a lot of interest in knowing about computers and its peripherals.I use a Pentium 4 processor. How does a processor work? How modern processors are different from the old ones? I have heard a lot about the AMD processors? Are processors manufactured by AMD superior from that of Intel? I am a game freak . Please suggest which processors should I go for a change?

Re: Processors and its categories

A processor is a small electronic chip mounted on the electronic circuit board called as mother board,it is the brain of a computer and is responsible for Arithmetic and logical functions. Processors used in modern computers are smaller in size and faster in computing as compared to the older processors. Intel processors are most widely used processors in most of the systems, I reckon you should opt for Intel.

There are two main manufacturers that the lead the market today Intel and AMD(Advanced Micro Devices). Intel has manufactured Pentium M and Celeron M processors, core processors such as dual core and ultra core processors,and the latest virtual i3,i5,i7 processors. AMD processors include Sempron, Athlon, Turion , Xenon. both these companies manufacture single and multicore processors.

Different computer generation used different technologies for processing. Now modern computing use core processors and virtual processors that are capable of performing complicated tasks in minimum time frame.
    Every processor has a clock speed which is measured in gigahertz. More the gigahertz higher the processing speed. But processor generates high amount of heat and a heat sink is placed on the processor that absorbs its heat. AMD processors have more clock speed than that of Intel processors But still most user prefer Intel processors because the AMD processors generate much more heat than Intel processors.

When asked about the processors, size of it really have a great impact matters. It does not matter if you are purchasing a new computer or upgrading the older one, you should get the best processor you can afford. This is because the processor will become out of date very fast. Selecting a 3.6 GHz processor over a 2 GHz in today’s date, you can save numerous years of inexpensive computing time. Also test the speed of the front side bus (FSB) while buying a new system or CPU. A front side bus of 800 MHz or superior is vital for fast processing speeds. The processor's cache also plays a significant role . Ensure that it possesses at least 1 MB of last level cache if your computing requirements are regular. If you happen to be an extreme gamer or if you run exhaustive graphics programs, buy a processor with the biggest cache that accommodates your budget. There can be a lot of dissimilarity between the cheapest processors and the most exclusive ones. However if you ask my opinion it is a onetime investment. So its totally up to you and your requirements and your money .

Well after looking at the above post, I I too think that it depends a lot , how you want to make a use of a processor m, if you are a gamer then you need a core processor. Buying a processor with a dual, triple, or quad core can make a important variation in the processing capacity of your system. It's like installing two, three, or four different processors installed on your system at a time . These processors function together to make your system and to do different tasks at one time and also it can work faster and with greater effectiveness. Purchasing a CPU with a larger front side bus can improve the processor's capability to interact with RAM, which will boost your system's overall speed.