Thread: Intel DP55SB making noise

Intel DP55SB making noise

I have been trying to find a fix to a weird problem that have been recently occurred to me. My Intel DP55SB Desktop board is emitting some weird high-pitched electronic chirping noise. I don't think it was the psu fan because when I set the fan for high, I can definitely hear the fan. I have checked all the other components and all the fans and nothing seems to be abnormal. Is there any solution to this or should I return the board?

Re: Intel DP55SB making noise

Looking at your post and according to my experience I don't find any specific issue regarding this on your board. Can you tell us from where on the motherboard the noise is coming? If you are, however, so sure about your motherboard I would suggest to check your computer components on other computer.

When integrated circuits fail, they can often make a high-pitched noise, especially when the failure is due to overheat. Did you noticed any electrical burning type smell? It seems to me that you have already experienced some intermittent failures. It might also come from the power fan! Check your PSU and if possible replace it and see if this helps.

No I can't find any kind of burning smell. Ok I forgot to mention that the sound is coming around the processor area, but if I stop the fan, the sound does not stop. I even tried to remove all the components from the computer and rebuilding it one by one but did not work. I cannot remove the power supply.

The noise must be coming from an electrical component on the graphics card. Is your graphics card a PCI or AGP? Does it have its own fan? Try to replace your video card and see if this works. It happened to me once upon a time and when I took out my video card and switched with a known good one, there was no sound on it.

I think that is the problem of your capacitor which is why it is making the noise. It could be the problem of leaking capacitor so do not touch this while the power is on. It could produce a static electricity which can affect you a lot. So to resolve this you need to replace the motherboard. You can also take the motherboard to some computer repair shop and get this fixed.

Open the case and look for chokes. It is the black object with copper wire surrounded. They are used for interference suppressors. If doesn't observe any problem with your normal operation and if the noise is not too loud that it cannot be tolerated then leave it as it is. A similar kind of noise appears from the transformers because the plates on the transformer core is constructed not to bound tightly enough. It could be that the copper wire is not bound tightly enough around the soft iron core of the choke.