Thread: Six core processor vs quad core

Six core processor vs quad core

I cannot play Microsoft flight sim X in my computer correctly therefore I am thinking to build a new computer. I am thinking about two motherboards as follows:
    • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor
    • AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor .

I am thinking to implement ASUS. I don’t know this will be right or wrong. If there is any other MOBO in your mind which is under $150 then please suggest me that if that is better than the ASUS. And also suggest me for operating system that whether I go for Windows 7 or Windows XP.

Thank You!!!

Re: Six core processor vs quad core

Hi, I am using Phenom II x4 955@3.8ghz and the Phenom II x6 1055 Thuban and I found that there is no improvement in the performance with 1055T if we consider the gaming. When we come to the tasks like video editing, photo manipulation, encoding or 3D rendering then 1055T wins the race. Therefore if you want a chip which is good performing then you can go for 1055T and you can buy AMD Phenom II X4 965 if you are going to play the games and perform the simple tasks on the PC.

PeterAGASSI has already given the suggestion for MOBO and it is a very good suggestion. I would have also suggested you for that if he would not have suggested you this before. Since you have asked for the operating system also then I think you should install Windows 7 64 bit. It will give you the faster performance. I am also using this and have not found any software, hardware or the driver which is creating problem with it.

Friends, I am also going to get a new PC and I want some good suggestion for the processor. I like to play games on my computer. I have searched on internet and found the two processor which are:
    • Intel® Core™i7-860 Quad Core (2.80GHz, 8MB Cache)
    • AMD PHENOM II X6 1090T (3.20GHz/9MB CACHE) - black edition

Can you tell me which will be the better option for me? And also tell me that which video card is good if I want to implement one in my computer? Thank you very much in advance.
    Last edited by Chitamacha; 24-09-2010 at 03:34 AM.

I found that AMD Phenom II x6 1090T is much faster than Core i7 860. Multiple cores cannot utilize many of the programs. Turbo Core is an advance feature in Thuban code-names which can lower the clock speed for convinced cores but this will raise the clock speed of the other cores. For the programs which need only 2 or 3 cores this will increase the speed for that program. Intel also has this feature in Core i7.

In my personal experience, AMD CPU's have always been better in gaming. Generally, a core i7 920 will slaughter the Phenom II x4 965 in most other tasks, but in gaming benchmarks that I looked up, there were a lot of games where the Phenom II x4 965 put up frightening performance, and in some cases, even outperformed the Core i7 920 in gaming. This has a high overclocking potential because it is a black edition and multiplayer will be unlocked.

If you want to play the game which needs a highly configured computer then you have to add a video card to your computer. There are two which I prefer if I need to buy one. They are GTX 460 and 9800gt. And even I am told to select one between these two then I will finally go for GTX 460 which is somewhat better then 9800gt.