Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Best Processor for Single Thread Application

Motherboard Processor & RAM

Old 16-09-2010

Best Processor for Single Thread Application

I have some doubts that I want to share here with you. I am working on a project application and it written in MatLab programming language. This application has very much use of math, but it does not work with multi-threading. So I want to ask that which one will be a best CPU for my work support to executing a single thread. And one thing I want to make clear here with you that I do not want to use multiple core bcz it will not help me. What u thinks which will be fastest processor for single core execution?

Old 16-09-2010

Re: Best Processor for Single Thread Application

You can solve your query by using high speed or high memory cache memory. But then I realize that cache is memory is for DATA not for instruction. And normally data can be in MB of size, so may be having a large memory cache can solve your query. So try to apply a high memory processor in ur processor but it will be helpful for you till some limited memory of data. And it will be Little be costly also. I hope my suggestion will help you …………
Old 16-09-2010

You can try to consider breaking up your application into multiple threads if it is possible. This can frequently be simply completed with nearly all math problems. not everyone of course, however, mainly problems that you are crunching numbers on a computer are usually the "do this function on this set of data" Which is simply crack up by saying "do this function on this half of the data and at the same time the other half of the data”.
Old 16-09-2010

I have some other question related to same topic and these are my situation. I have two systems: one Acer Aspire AS5740-5255 LX.PM902.131 laptop PC with Intel Core i3-330M 2.13GHz, 4GB DDR3, 320GB HDD with running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and a Gateway DX4831-05 PT.GAJ02.013. and 2nd one is Desktop PC with Intel Core i5-650 3.2GHz, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, eSATA, FireWire, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.And, for a little cause my files are getting run via the i3 more rapidly than the i5 do! This is the total reverse of what I was expecting when I purchased the i5, but I thought that maybe the i3 handles single thread better than the i5.The files are large (100MB) and the math is pretty compound, so it will take about 24 hours to run a file through the MatLab program. I am not certain if there is some dissimilarity in the configuration among the 2 computers to explain what I am seeing. So if anybody have some solution plz tell me
Old 16-09-2010

It’s really very interesting problem with you. The only thing is that you must look at your memory bandwidth. It may be possible that your Intel i3 processor can have faster memory bus speed then the Intel i5. If the trouble include a lot of data movement, that may be the formative factor. Though, in most of application and memories performance means nothing. This may be one of the uncommon matters where that is not true. What about your virus scanning software? Are they similar?
Old 16-09-2010

I am giving answer to original question here: and it is: attempt to keeping your load temps underneath 75 degree Celsius or so. By load, I mean to say that with a pressure test not a game... Prime95 or similar. You should not ever arrive at this although because you are getting a Venomous X. moreover, voltages should be, if possible be kept under 1.35v or so, but again... judge by your voltages @ 3.7, you will never get to this. You will probably be able to reach not only lower temps, but lower voltages also once your cooler arrives. Just try this idea and find how it works. Have fun!
Old 16-09-2010

What I know that 2.13 GHz Intel i3 should not process MatLab execution quicker than a 3.2 GHz Intel i5. First suppose is that something has borked with the Intel i5 setup. RAM bandwidth only cannot explanation for X being quicker than something which is 1.5X. Does not calculate. You should try to compare to processor with benchmark. How other performed, just look on the two setup? See some examples of single thread and similar.
Old 18-09-2010

The quickest processor in the world cannot do squat with no data to utilize. If the MatLab program is doing simply sequential data access and modification, it is probable that the RAM bandwidth is bottlenecking the processor. And also Two OEM Clarkdale devices should have very alike memory performance apart from of the core frequency. It is still dual channel 1066 running via that crappy off-die MCH.

TechArena Community > Hardware > Motherboard Processor & RAM
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,