Thread: Is AMD fusion going to be a legit gaming platform?

Is AMD fusion going to be a legit gaming platform?

There is rumor about AMD merging the CPU and the GPU. It seems to me where Intel is on the same path with their upcoming bridges and current chips. I have an little faith about Intel,which is integrating decent graphics into their chips.But Intel seems having an different story,they are supposedly dropping in Q4. They are targeting at FUSION, but I have no information about this. Are they attempt to fuse gaming-level graphics onto the CPU or should I expect something more with the underpowered integrated graphics?

Re: Is AMD fusion going to be a legit gaming platform?

The rumor is about 'Redwood' level in GPU integrated with a 32nm variant of AMD Athlon II X4. The 'Redwood' is the GPU used for the radeon 5570/5670. It is strong for currentn IGP solution,and also good for gaming. the pure size and the power requirements are not integrated in the high end crds. Also not mention to system memory rather than dedicated to the 'VRAM'.

I have an opinion about this and would like to share it. I think think AMD fusion is good for gaming. I see that it doing very well in the HTPC or casual non-gaming. It is not good for current available IGP's, I even see that it is 2 or 3 times more powerful. The extra hit and power from the combined GPU and CPU will make it difficult to OC compared apart from a direct GPU setup.
    No TechArena No Experts, Know TA know Experts!

If it is seems that graphics performance is not going to be competitive, then what is special about merging of the CPU and GPU that we cant which we can not accomplished with a good CPU or discrete cards? I see somewhere that this is going to be fundamentally different and special,that merging the GPU, which is going to produce something more than the typical integrated graphics.

Intel did some demonstration with their early sandy bridge chips, and the graphics cards are quite good only for Inter products. They may just be able to compete with the ultra low-end discrete card market (stuff like the Radeon 5400). Where you just able to play games, as long as you turn resolutions.