Thread: what are the tools available to check the performance of the operating system sheduler.

what are the tools available to check the performance of the operating system sheduler.

I have an Intel core 2 duo processor and using a Linux operating system, I have recently installed the Linux in to my system due to a kind of mandatory work which i wanted to do, initially i was using the windows 7, Now the Linux is also serving me well but i want to check the performance the performance of it, To determine that whether i am using the best in that particular business or not.Is there are any devices available that will enable me to check the performance of my operating system.
    Last edited by Taizin; 22-09-2010 at 11:44 AM.

Re: what are the tools available to check the performance of the operating system sheduler.

According to me this a serious issue that you are facing, by the way there is no need to calculate the performance of the operating system scheduler, The things which may come under this process may be critical. There are tools available that will help in this process, But this tools are hardly compatible with the system, first you have to over come the system requirements that matches these tools and then try it out, Currently i don't have any single example so that i can guide you , you just tried it by your own.
    Last edited by MattyBoy; 22-09-2010 at 12:06 PM.

Re: what are the tools available to check the performance of the operating system sheduler.

It seems to me i can help you out in this , You can measure it by come irrelevant Parallel programming frameworks such as OpenMP, TBB, MPI , These tool have their own specification of being working with the Operating system scheduler. I won't be able to suggest you anyone of these because i don't have the purpose of why you are doing it and what are the specification of your system or rather what are the requirements that forced you to do this.

First of all thank you for considering my problem, but now i don't think that there is necessary to give any system configuration of mine to check whether the tool are compatible or not but still i believe that it it helps you people in solving my problem then here are the system configuration of my computer
    • Linux OS
    • Intel core2 duo
    • 2 gb ram
    • 250 gb hard disk

The detailed information given by you is fine and i do believe that there is the solution with me for you, I have seen the system configuration of yours and it seems to me that on this configuration any tool can run. But I will suggest you to use the CPU-Z, this tool is very much effective in monitoring the performance of the CPU scheduler. The CPU-Z is the tool that enables you to go on check the intensity of the operating system.