Thread: core i3 laptop showing 2 different processor speed.

core i3 laptop showing 2 different processor speed.

The laptop that I am using consists of core i3 processor - 2.13 GHz. with 4GB of RAM. The Operating System is Windows XP. Sometimes, when I checked the system properties of my laptop it does not show the processor speed properly. Sometimes it shows 2.13GHz, 2.13GHz, and usually shows 2.13GHz, 914MHz. Even the RAM is not displayed as 4GB but as 2.80GB. I really can't take the toll, can anyone please help.

Re: core i3 laptop showing 2 different processor speed.

There's really nothing that you should worry about. Many mobile processors, including the Core i3M, use dynamic frequency scaling. This is done in order to improve power efficiency and decrease thermal loading. Maximum default core frequency of the processor is 2.13GHZ, but it will operate at lower frequency at minimal load. When the processor gets heavily loaded its frequency will get automatically increase.

Regarding the memory utilization. The Windows XP version that you are using is of 32-bit. This operating system imposes a 4GB memory mapping limit. One more thing that may prove to be the core reason of displaying the memory difference is integrated graphics controller. This utilizes a major portion of the RAM for graphics.

I probably think that you need to have a 64-bit operating system. Or, you need to have Windows Vista or Windows 7 as your operating system for the laptop. Usually it is 64-bit operating system that supports 4GB memory and not 32 bit OS. 32 bit OS do not support more than 3GB RAM. So, I would suggest you to switch for the higher version of the Windows OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    I probably think that you need to have a 64-bit operating system. Or, you need to have Windows Vista or Windows 7 as your operating system for the laptop. Usually it is 64-bit operating system that supports 4GB memory and not 32 bit OS. 32 bit OS do not support more than 3GB RAM. So, I would suggest you to switch for the higher version of the Windows OS.
    This time you got it wrong my friend. 32 bit OS supports up to 4GB and 64 bit OS supports more than 4GB. Also there is nothing to do with the version of the OS for the processor's issue. The memory issue is also going to stay its ground since the graphics chip will be using that much portion of the Ram as it was using before. The scenario for 64 bit comes in the picture only when the RAM size increases to 6 or 8 GB.