Thread: Realtek RTL8111C Gigabit chipset (Asus motherboard) + speed slow-down

Realtek RTL8111C Gigabit chipset (Asus motherboard) + speed slow-down

I have recently put within the service of an Asus and AMD motherboard dependent WHS system and, for some causes, the Realtek RTL8111C motherboard-dependent NIC was throttled down with the 100mbit service.

Yeah, a recent , Realtek-distributed WinServer 2003-friendly Realtek driver was installed as the primary step once the Windows Home Server installation procedure got finished , as WHS is not compatible with the NIC out-of-the-box. Just after the installation and prior to the Windows Update process working , the NIC was connecting with the local switch at the 1GBit rate of speed.Sometimes, At the time of Windows updating procedure or just after that, the NIC lost its connection with the 100Mbit and has not replaced since. The system has been restarted and the Device Manager reports no issues.

Re: Realtek RTL8111C Gigabit chipset (Asus motherboard) + speed slow-down

Hi,
    As according to the explanation of your issues, I am getting actually what's going on and what are the problem that you are suffering from but one thing would be better for me to measure out the issue if you can specify the system configuration.

WHS does not have any feature to negotiate the NIC connection speed.I would perform the downloading of Windows Server 2003 version of the driver and go for different installation of the same if it was functioning properly before.

Sam, According to me the statement that you have specified is not true. Windows Server 2003 is performing a more harsh evaluation regarding the environment, than Windows XP does . So, if something is in the minimum quality (For example. cable or plugs) the speed will be minimized to warrant for a absolute connection.

I had it myself with the Windows Home Server - as long as my server was refernced to a connect within the wall, it provides me only 100 MBit/s even if connected with a GigaBit port on the other end with the GigaBit NIC. As soon as I get the cable and insert the same directly into the switch, the expected GigaBit connection got finished .

You could go ahead to force up the NIC to gigabit speeds, you have to go ahead with the following steps defined as follows --

Move to the DeviceManager=>Network Adapter=>Realtec=>properties and then after choose the advanced , and then linkspeed option.

Just be sure that you are able to connect with the help of keyboard/display to undo the same in case you permanently loose the servers network connection ! One more thing , note that effectively, it would deactivate the link speed negotiation and could evaluate within the unreliable network connections .

After performing the installation of some AMD and ATI system mainboard / bus associated drivers and one or two restarts of the operating system , the NIC bumped back up to gigabit service.The joys of working around the Windows home server software (WHS) with the appropriate drivers which sort of compatibility with the operating system .

The system is connected with the almost-new, locally-placed, five-port switch with new Cat 6 patch cables. It was late when entire configuration are going fine and takes place so I will have to check the speeds on different point.

I do have a spare system working as the NAS and going through the embedded Realtek RTL8111C NIC (motherboard attached is Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L). It is unable to go with the Windows but FreeBSD (FreeNAS). I am running with the same pb with this NIC. It commonly performs at 1Gbit but sometimes it got drops at the range of 100Mbit, there is no other issues about the cable that I am currently working with . As far as I am sure , it is not just because of the incapability of any software drivers as the NIC clearly moves 100 Mbit during boot process . Just go for the leds on the connector. This should be orange (gigabit), it is green (fast Ethernet). And no OS/drivers is loaded yet.