Thread: Help with new ram stick and computer failure

Help with new ram stick and computer failure

Hi TeachArena Community members,

I have a problem and would greatly appreciate any possible solutions or information that would solve it.

I have a toshiba m300 satellite running vista 64bit home premium, recently I decided to move all of my files to an external hdd so i could have a clean install of windows 7. I have not purchased windows 7 yet, but i have purchased a new 2gb ram stick from a computer shop. I brought both old ram sticks I had to show the guy what i exactly need, and told me the this stick will work with my laptop. When I swapped the old stick for the new one, my computer recognized it and show 4096mb of ram. only 2 minutes after I was sitting in the desktop to see if anything would happen and then a blue screen appeared, saying a critical error has occurred dealing with a hardware failure and restarted in seconds of the message appearing. I choose to start in windows safe mode, and quickly scheduled a memory diagnostics upon restart. the diagnostics start, passing by the first test (testing the old 2gb ram stick) within 5 min, then after 7-8min of not even completing 1% of the second test (testing the new 2gb ram stick) and short message appear:

stop:failure C0000221
    \SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll

I did some reading about this ntdll.dll error, but most was scattered information about windows xp and faulty OS installations.

I suspect its a hardware issue, but i have no clue as what it is and what i can do about it.

Sorry for the long post, and I will greatly appreciate any information or solutions for this issue.

Re: Help with new ram stick and computer failure

To resolve this problem, obtain a new copy of the corrupted file or reinstall Windows XP. If you continue to receive any one of the error messages that are described in the "Summary" section after you reinstall Windows XP, a hardware problem or a network problem may exist, read more here. Another way is to find the location of the missing file that is C:\Windows\System32\ or %Systemdrive%\Windows\Sytem32 and replace it with the new file that you can download from here.

Thx for your help James_911, but I run Windows Vista 64bit as an OS not Windows XP. Some new developments, I switch the ram stick with each other, being the newer ram stick is now in the first slot, where as before it was in the second. After this no computer crashes occur, so I ran some diagnostics tests, including the memory diagnostics test and that test was able to complete, but showed that there are hardware failures and complications and to contact the computer manufacture for assistance. I am not sure if it deals with incompatibly between my computer and the ram stick,a faulty ram stick or my computer is incapable of any different ram sticks other than the original ram sticks the came with it.

If anybody can help me with this, again, I greatly appreciate the effort and time.
    Last edited by jakekind79; 28-07-2010 at 07:43 AM.

There could be a number of reasons related to the hardware problem. You can however go to this page C0000221 Unknown Hardware Error Message and check it different tips given for the error codes. Also you can check some suggestions given in this topics: STOP: C0000221 Unknown Hard Error \SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll
    stop: c0000221 unknown hard error on blue screen